What's new

Netflix Considering Making Content Downloadable

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Netflix considering downloads.JPG

Re/code reports that Netflix is considering making its content available to download rather than just to stream. During Netflix’s Q1 earnings call yesterday, Re/code’s Peter Kafka asked Netflix CEO Reed Hastings about the possibility of a download option being added to the service, just as Amazon and YouTube have, for example.
“We should keep an open mind on this,” Hastings told Kafka. “We’ve been so focused on click-and-watch and the beauty and simplicity of streaming. But as we expand around the world, where we see an uneven set of networks, it’s something we should keep an open mind about.”

As Kafka notes, while this is not a definite answer from Hastings, it does show a big change from the usual Netflix response to the download question, which has been very definitely an emphatic “no,” even as recently as the end of last year.

However, don’t get excited about getting the chance to download your favourite Netflix films and shows just yet, as the necessary licenses for offline viewing would need to be secured by Netflix first, and you imagine that could take some time.

Source: Netflix says it might let you download movies and TV shows

I hope they do! I would rather download content and have it at a constant high quality, when some times your internet connection can slow down and with that the picture quality drops really low.

Or on the plan..etc with no internet is the obvious one :)

The downloads will probably be time limited, like with BBC iPlayer where the downloads self-delete after a set time.

probably, I think the bbci was for two weeks after which it would not work, even if they have a time limit I think that would be good, I would download it that day and watch it, depending on the time we would get to watch it.

probably, I think the bbci was for two weeks after which it would not work, even if they have a time limit I think that would be good, I would download it that day and watch it, depending on the time we would get to watch it.
It would also be perfect for long trips when you didn't want to watch what the airlines were offering.