What's new

Need some iTunes help for iOS 5 update

lf35

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am completely new to this forum and was wanting some advice about a few things please.
First I seem to be having a major problem trying to back my phone up on iTunes. Everytime I try to back it up it ttells me to transfer my purchases before I can have the new update. When I try to do this it freezes after about 10 mins and it has wiped anything I recently tried to transfer. Should I completely delete iTunes and re install it? Or is there any other suggestion on how I could fix this problem.
Secondly I can't seem to download certain things as I haven't updated my phone for ages. What is the best way to go about this?
And finally I also have my sons iPod on my iTunes account and when he gets an iTunes voucher and puts it in it won't let him spend it but let's me spend it. It takes the money from my card instead. How do I also correct this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone. I am completely new to this forum and was wanting some advice about a few things please.
First I seem to be having a major problem trying to back my phone up on iTunes. Everytime I try to back it up it ttells me to transfer my purchases before I can have the new update. When I try to do this it freezes after about 10 mins and it has wiped anything I recently tried to transfer. Should I completely delete iTunes and re install it? Or is there any other suggestion on how I could fix this problem.
Secondly I can't seem to download certain things as I haven't updated my phone for ages. What is the best way to go about this?
And finally I also have my sons iPod on my iTunes account and when he gets an iTunes voucher and puts it in it won't let him spend it but let's me spend it. It takes the money from my card instead. How do I also correct this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Since you haven't updated your phone in a while, and it's way out of date you will need to DFU restore.

You should enter DFU mode. Look that up. Very easy to do.

I recommend you download the ipsw (the iOS Firmware update file).

You need to download the right ipsw for your device model, since I'm sure you don't care about jailbreaking, you probably want iOS 5.1. So download the ipsw for 5.0.1 for your device model (iPhone 4, 4S, 3GS,etc).

Once the ipsw is downloaded save it to your desktop.

Now plug in your device and enter DFU mode.

Open iTunes and hold down the shift key on your keyboard (control key on Mac) while you click the restore button.

Locate the ipsw and double click on it.

Let iTunes do the rest. When done, choose to restore from backup if you wish.

Thanks for that advice. I am gonna give that a try tomorrow. Need to charge my laptop up first. I will look all those things up first to know what I am doing. Hope it works for me as I have tried all different solutions through google and they haven't worked.

Thanks. Will let you know if I get it all fixed.

Thanks for that advice. I am gonna give that a try tomorrow. Need to charge my laptop up first. I will look all those things up first to know what I am doing. Hope it works for me as I have tried all different solutions through google and they haven't worked.

Thanks. Will let you know if I get it all fixed.

It should work. Post back w/ the results. iPhone 4, 3G, 3GS? Which model do you have?

Since you haven't updated your phone in a while, and it's way out of date you will need to DFU restore.

You should enter DFU mode. Look that up. Very easy to do.

I recommend you download the ipsw (the iOS Firmware update file).

You need to download the right ipsw for your device model, since I'm sure you don't care about jailbreaking, you probably want iOS 5.1. So download the ipsw for 5.0.1 for your device model (iPhone 4, 4S, 3GS,etc).

Once the ipsw is downloaded save it to your desktop.

Now plug in your device and enter DFU mode.

Open iTunes and hold down the shift key on your keyboard (control key on Mac) while you click the restore button.

Locate the ipsw and double click on it.

Let iTunes do the rest. When done, choose to restore from backup if you wish.

WHAT!!!! Are you saying that if I wish to upgrade my iPhone 4, version 4.1 iOS, that I need to perform a DFU-whatever??? My phone works perfectly as is, and eventually I wish to update the iOS. So what's this about needing a DFU restore. Please expand your comment!!

EWyatt said:
WHAT!!!! Are you saying that if I wish to upgrade my iPhone 4, version 4.1 iOS, that I need to perform a DFU-whatever??? My phone works perfectly as is, and eventually I wish to update the iOS. So what's this about needing a DFU restore. Please expand your comment!!

DFU mode (Device Firmware Update) is what happens when you power off the device, hold both home and sleep/power button for 10 seconds, then release the sleep/power button right at 10 second mark but keep holding the home button for an additional 15 seconds.
The screen will be black (as if it is shut off) and iTjnes will say: iTunes has discovered a device is recovery mode. It must be restored before you can use this device with iTunes. Or something like that.

Then click okay, hold down the shift key while clicking restore, and pod elect the ipsw in the window that pops up. That window it pops up if you hold down the shift key "while" clicking the restore button.

Thanks zig... for the explanation. But you seem to indicate that this is a necessary step if a person (like me) hasn't upgraded to a newer iOS version in a while. Well.........I always thought that if you wish to upgrade to a higher iOS version, you just did it! And not worry about some DFU stuff, or anything else. That was my point. Please clarify. THNX

If your phone is not jail broken, then you don't need to put it into DFU mode to upgrade to the newest iOS version. All you have to do is connect it to iTunes and click restore on the main screen.

Usually, the jail broken phone is put into DFU mode to upgrade. It helps to forestall errors (although, sometimes it doesn't t have to be in DFU mode either...).

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

This may sound like a stupid question, but........

If you keep your phone updated (by Wi-Fi) regularly to the newest iOS, does this also keep the firmware updated?

This may sound like a stupid question, but........

If you keep your phone updated (by Wi-Fi) regularly to the newest iOS, does this also keep the firmware updated?

If you mean that you do the Software Update part from within your Settings app (under the General tab), then yes, you are keeping the software updated. You can double check you are up-to-date by going to Settings - General - About and scrolling down to the line titled Version. The number it shows is your current iOS.

And there are no stupid questions - especially if they are asked to gain knowledge previously unknown. :)

Marilyn

If your phone is not jail broken, then you don't need to put it into DFU mode to upgrade to the newest iOS version. All you have to do is connect it to iTunes and click restore on the main screen.

Usually, the jail broken phone is put into DFU mode to upgrade. It helps to forestall errors (although, sometimes it doesn't t have to be in DFU mode either...).

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

Yes, and thanks Marilyn. All too often here, the writers assume (without clarification) that the subject topic is about an iPhone 4S, or a jail-broken device, or automatically in an iOS5 configuration. In any case, thanks for your fine advice all over these pages. You are a "good" moderator...