What's new

Need Opinions

brianhenny

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope you're all enjoying your phones which I'm sure you are.

I'm a cell phone freaaak. I get a new one probably every 6 months because I either get bored or want the best new thing. I currently have a Droid Incredible that I love (but the battery is horrible) which I got in July. I really want the iphone! But my mom is sick of me switching phones and all that so if I did get it, I'd have to go on my own plan.

Right now I don't pay anything monthly (mom does) and my phone is perfectly fine (besides the battery). Am I crazy to go onto my own plan and pay the $80-$90 bucks a month for the iPhone4? When the fifth comes out, i'll definitely upgrade (so should I just wait?)

I try not to think about it but I really want it! I'm almost 21 and in college, I work though so affording the bill won't be a problem (although it's $80-$90 bucks I still have in my pocket right now ya know?) I think I can switch my line to a plan of its own so i'm not sure if i'll have the ETF. Also I can sell my Droid online for approx. $136.

I'll take any advice and I appreciate it. Thanks guys!

It actually would cost you about 105 a month. If you really think it's worth "leaving the nest" for it then go for it but just know you won't be switching phones out every six months after you do haha

I know I'm trying to think far ahead. What beats the iphone though? I'm thinking that when the 5 comes out, i'll buy it at full price and sell my 4.

I'm putting my plan together on apple which comes to $89.98 a month. Plus tax would be $96.30, then i'm sure $10 worth of fees and stuff. I work for American Eagle and get a discount of 16% though so that would shoot back down to $90. Decisions, decisions. Why do we have to pay so much! haha

This is what I would do. You're almost 21. I can see a girl saying "my parents pay my bill". But when a dude says "I'm on family plan" or "My parents pay for my cell" that's a lil childish at that point. Living at home w/ parents is different...save save save that way. haha. it will be a smart decision, that's if they are cool w/ you living there. 30, is MAX though. haha. At least for me :) *Well I have old fashioned Italian parents therefore trying to tell em I am moving out will be with knives guns and WHY WHY WHY's lol. But a cell phone bill is not as expensive as rent! I pay all my other bills and always have so no rent is pretty cool for now. Hoping my move out day will be to go to FL...depends though. Got sister and bro in law there.

I work at Wegmans which gives me 20% off data pack plus 20% off total bill (plus 25% off accessories) and I had the 39.99+29.99(-20%)+10 for unlimited text to verizon/verizon~500 to non verizon. Total after taxes around 74.02. I just switched to 59.99+29.99 (-20%) and not sure what the taxes will make it out to be but I will say maybe 86. That's still good especially now that I can have non verizon texts unlimited. I don't do much calling so 450 mins is legit, wish it was just 500 and wish they started at 7--the LEAST Verizon can start offering.

So I don't mean to make you small at all, just trying to give you an idea. I say get the iPhone 4 now (because like they said unlimited is for 'limited time only'). Hopefully they lock us in with iPhone 5 unlimited until LTE iPhone comes out (hopefully not the iPhone 5) and I may also get the iPhone 5 and sell iPhone 4 on craigs (well I leave that up to my bro he is good w/ that stuff haha) and make a pretty much break-even sale, and then some..but maybe not cuz iPhone 4 is such a HUGE leap from the BB Storm 1 that I could handle keeping it for 2 years.

I'm a cell phone freaaak. I get a new one probably every 6 months because I either get bored or want the best new thing. I currently have a Droid Incredible that I love (but the battery is horrible) which I got in July. I really want the iphone! But my mom is sick of me switching phones and all that so if I did get it, I'd have to go on my own plan.

Right now I don't pay anything monthly (mom does) and my phone is perfectly fine (besides the battery). Am I crazy to go onto my own plan and pay the $80-$90 bucks a month for the iPhone4? When the fifth comes out, i'll definitely upgrade (so should I just wait?)

I try not to think about it but I really want it! I'm almost 21 and in college, I work though so affording the bill won't be a problem (although it's $80-$90 bucks I still have in my pocket right now ya know?) I think I can switch my line to a plan of its own so i'm not sure if i'll have the ETF. Also I can sell my Droid online for approx. $136.

You wrote that you get a new cell phone every six months. If the Iphone 5 comes out in the summer you'll be set.

Enzo, I agree that it's not as bad as rent.. I started out school out of state and my parents were paying close to 30k a year, now i'm commuting to a school and they're paying 10k so their happy haha. The only reason I don't want to switch is because of the theory 'why fix it if it's broke.' idk!

I know I can take my number and put it on a plan of its own, but will I still have the ETF? I should probably eventually do this to help establish credit and stuff like that.

I just want to know how much i'll be dropping to make the switch. My ETF will probably be around $200, then $200 for the phone and ~+90 a month, but I can get $136 for the droid so hmm..

Even though the new iphone may be out this summer, i'll still have to go on my own plan cause that will only be a year with the droid and my mom won't have it haha

I just called Verizon and found out my mom is eligible for an upgrade. My 21st is in a few weeks, I think i'm going to take her upgrade for it and sell my Incredible!

If I were you I'd wait for the iphone5 I love my phone but seriously wait

I'm still debating on what to do. The battery on my incredible gets more and more annoying everyday..

Should I just use my moms upgrade for my birthday? It's technically not costing anything. I'm looking to sell my Incredible on ebay for around $200. Then, when the iPhone5 comes out, i'll just sell the 4 and get the 5.. sound like a good idea? Or just wait. Which is always so hard haha.

I hated the battery life on the Incredible. If it's bothering you that much, why not just get a Droid X? I actually traded my incredible for a Droid X on Craiglist with a girl that thought it was too big. Battery life rules on the Droid X. You could probably buy one used for around $300 and sell your Incredible for about the same price.

^^^^^
Because a droidx2 is coming out in may. The best phones are coming out soon from 4g phones to the iphone to knew/upgraded droids(inc2, dx2, d3)

I switch phones every six months too. But I just buy them off craigslist and sell them again when I'm done.

If i'm going to swtich phones it's going to be the iPhone. I'm not paying anything out of pocket to get the iPhone4 (since it's my birthday and mom's upgrade = $200) the only thing that's making me hesitate is the rumored iPhone5. I'm guessing Verizon will give current users a discount right? And i'm sure you'll be able to get at least $300 for the iPhone4 at that time right? plus the discount, shouldn't be too much money.

I just watched a bunch of videos on how to sell on Ebay, I'm looking and people are getting between like $75-$150 for used ones. Mines in perfect condition though, I might just take it for $167 on Gazelle. Thoughts?