What's new

Need help upgrading to ios 5!!!!!

kemode88

Reaction score
I have a jailbroken 3gs currently on 4.21 firmware. Im trying to upgrade to IOS 5, but every time i try i get an error in itunes. I have downloaded the most recent versions of tiny umbrella, redsn0w and itunes but i cant seem to get my phone to update...any suggestions?

Try backing everything up on iTunes and then resetting your phone to factory, then update and restore. That should do the trick!

No need to use TinyUmbrella when restoring 5.0.1, make sure you don't have any references to gs.apple.com in your HOSTS file or you won't be able to restore. It would also help if you told use the error number you are getting as there are literally hundreds of iTunes errors.

Try backing everything up on iTunes and then resetting your phone to factory, then update and restore. That should do the trick!
When i try backing up and restoring it i get the 3194 error, which is why i was using TU.

Are you trying to upgrade to iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1? If it's 5.0, do you have SHSH blobs for that firmware version? If it's no, you'll have to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1, as that's the only one you can go to without blobs.

If you have SHSH blobs for 5.0, then never mind... :D

Marilyn

i updated my itunes...i just need step by step instructions on how to upgrade to ios5. for some reason nothing seems to be working :/

All you do is hit "restore" in iTunes, thats it. If you require unlock you will need to use sn0wbreeze or redsn0w to make a custom 5.0.1 firmware to restore to preserve your baseband.