What's new

Need help understanding Photos app

ardchoille

Reaction score
In the Photos app, in the Albums tab, there is a category entitled "My Photo Stream". What is the purpose of this category? Can I add a photo, grab its URL and email the URL to someone so they can see the photo? How do we make our photos public so others can see them? I have artwork that I would like to share but I cannot afford paying for online image hosting. Dropbox only allows 2GB free and that is only a fraction of my portfolio.

My PhotoStream is meant to sync photos between Apple Devices, and the only stay there for 30 days, after which time they'll disappear.

To share your pictures with others, you can use Photo Sharing, if you want to use iCloud. It also doesn't use your iCloud storage, the limit of pictures for one of the albums is 5000, and they'll stay there until you delete them. This is how it works:
iCloud Photo Sharing FAQ - Apple Support

Here's something you could try as well:

If you have a Yahoo account, join Flickr. You don't have to show the images to everyone there, you're able to keep them private. Flickr provides 1 TB of free storage space, and if you need more, you can also purchase that. What you can also do there, is copy the URL of one of your pictures and post it/email it, whatever you choose to do.

If you keep them private, those who want to view them need a Yahoo account as well.

Last edited:
That link goes to a Yahoo login page.
image.jpg

That's a nice photo of the school and church. Is volksschule German for public school?

My PhotoStream is meant to sync photos between Apple Devices, and the only stay there for 30 days, after which time they'll disappear.

To share your pictures with others, you can use Photo Sharing, if you want to use iCloud. It also doesn't use your iCloud storage, the limit of pictures for one of the albums is 5000, and they'll stay there until you delete them. This is how it works:
iCloud Photo Sharing FAQ - Apple Support

Thank you very much, Johanna! I knew Apple had something like photo sharing but I couldn't remember it. I'm also going to join Flickr.

Flickr is quite nice.. and there's an iOS app too :)