What's new

Need Help Changed Nvram on J.B. 4.0 and now stuck in recovery mode.

wealthwise

Reaction score
I wanted to change my mac addy on my Ipod touch 3g so I could be able to use a wifi, it's jailbroken I think with Limerain and th IOS is 4.1 I think. right after I tried to use Ifconfig command to change the addy but it doesn't work on older IOS from what I have read. I tried SpoofMac as well and it didn't work. So I tried the Nvram command.
""nvram wifiaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" like it says here on another boards thread. As soon as I hit enter it rebooted and went into recovery mode, I successfully Jailbreaked it with GP RC5, but it still goes into recovery mode. I have a pass lock set so I need to do the hold the home button down before plugging in deal to get to DFU in Itunes. I can reset if necessary but I would rather not since I have nothing backed up. One good thing is I can still access the sbsettings, I tried to respring, reboot, safemode and no luck, I can see that both Wifi and SSH are on and I have an IP adddy also it appears that an ap that I had left on is still working. I have tried Irecovery and the commands went through but no fix, I tried Tiney Umbrella, but it won't work. I have some blobs saved. I tried Fixrecover for windows no dice, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if there is something else I haven't tried. I would also like to know if I do need to restore and I downgrade or Upgrade the IOS what IOS would let me either change the Mac addy or spoof it?
Thanks for any help.

Why would you change your MAC address in order to use a Wi-Fi network? That doesn't make any sense.
That's a good question, because the wifi service that I am paying for, (I'm in an RV Park) only allows one device at a time, so I can use my laptop but not my Ipod etc. so by changing the Mac Addy to the addy of the the device that was originally setup, it allows the device, I know because I changed it so I could use this laptop, when my other laptop's LCD got screwed, and it worked, otherwise it will not allow the Mac addy on it's server, some servers are like that they want you to pay to use two different devices. I still can't use two devices at once but at least I can use the one device I need, not that it really matters right now since my Ipod is pretty much out of commission till I restore or figure out a way to get things back, if there is some way to back up what's on there, that would be good then I can just go ahead and restore.

I see, well I don't think it's possible and even if it was, changing your MAC address would mess everything up as you UDID is attached to the MAC address. I think a better option would be to talk to your ISP and convince them to turn off MAC filtering.

Woohoo I was able to Fix with Redsnow latest release. just chose the fix on the menu

I see, well I don't think it's possible and even if it was, changing your MAC address would mess everything up as you UDID is attached to the MAC address. I think a better option would be to talk to your ISP and convince them to turn off MAC filtering.

Well if they would do that, they wouldn't try to charge extra to add the address to the filter, no I'm afraid spoofing the addy is the only way it will work otherwise they want you to pay extra and I'm not in a position to do that. If anyone else knows how to spoof on an Ipod 3g I would like to know.
Thanks