What's new

My volume bar disappears on my i phone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

manutd

Reaction score
Last weekend I was Playing music on my phone when all of a sudden my volume bar disappears and there's no music. But if you ring my phone or send me a text the sound works any ideas??

manutd said:
Last weekend I was Playing music on my phone when all of a sudden my volume bar disappears and there's no music. But if you ring my phone or send me a text the sound works any ideas??

Can you please be more specific. What volume bar? The one on the lock screen? The one in the switcher? The one in settings? The one in the music app?

Do you have a 3rd party accessory connected to it to play music through?

We need details to give you any help. What you described could be like 10 different situations.lol. You need to give us your situation , and how you got there.

Ok it's the volume bar in the music app. I start to play a song and 5 10 seconds in the volume bar disappears but will then come back then go again. When it disappears it affects all of my phone it happens if I have headphones in aswell. Iv restored the phone to factory settings but I still have the problem. But if the sound bar is not there and I receive a phone call the tone will sound ,the same with a text message aswell. I am connected to a wifi.

manutd said:
Ok it's the volume bar in the music app. I start to play a song and 5 10 seconds in the volume bar disappears but will then come back then go again. When it disappears it affects all of my phone it happens if I have headphones in aswell. Iv restored the phone to factory settings but I still have the problem. But if the sound bar is not there and I receive a phone call the tone will sound ,the same with a text message aswell. I am connected to a wifi.

Okay. This is very strange. And wifi has nothing to do with the music app.

Neither does text times nor ring tones.

I recommend you restore again. Please make sure to NOT restore from backup. Other wise what i like to call "problem files" are just backed up too, defeating the purpose of restoring in the first place.

Is this with headphones only? Are you connected to an accessory through the dock connector at the bottom of the phone? Some accessories can cause the volume control to go away completely.

Like when I use my phone to play music through my TV. I can control media playback, but the volume bar disappears.

When you double press the home button to open the multitasking bar and then scroll to the left, do you see the iPod control there? When you scroll again to the left, do you see the volume control there?

bab2010 said:
When you double press the home button to open the multitasking bar and then scroll to the left, do you see the iPod control there? When you scroll again to the left, do you see the volume control there?

Well he already said it was the music app, which is weird. The only thing I could think of that would do that is a 3rd party accessory that plugs in through the dock connector. That the only time my volume slider goes away.

That happened on my ip4s too!! The only way it was fixed was to get it replaced bu verizon

iPhone4SVerizon said:
That happened on my ip4s too!! The only way it was fixed was to get it replaced bu verizon

Strange. Must be a hardware defect (not surprising.). I truly believe finding and iPhone that does not have defect of some kind I'd basically impossible.lol.

Strange. Must be a hardware defect (not surprising.). I truly believe finding and iPhone that does not have defect of some kind I'd basically impossible.lol.

This isn't a hardware fault it's caused by a dirty/faulty charging dock (9 times out of 10) it's just dirty I have had this in the past took it to apple and they use a very small light paint brush to clean the followed with a thin hard paint brush to get off more then he used a circular metal object to finish would recommend you do the last yourself though but it's on the apple support forums aswell but you will have to find the link yourself

Not gonna start breaking forum rules ;-)

This isn't a hardware fault it's caused by a dirty/faulty charging dock (9 times out of 10) it's just dirty I have had this in the past took it to apple and they use a very small light paint brush to clean the followed with a thin hard paint brush to get off more then he used a circular metal object to finish would recommend you do the last yourself though but it's on the apple support forums aswell but you will have to find the link yourself

Not gonna start breaking forum rules ;-)

Last edited:
i think elite is onto something.

im having a few issues. if I use the volume buttons it brings up the white ringer icon, but there are white indicator dots, there is no volume bar in videos or music, and of course no sound.

If i push home button twice, then scroll all the way to the left to the volume control, the volume groove is there but no volume adjustment slide.
If i touch the airplay icon, i get the option of apple tv or dock connector.

then suddenly it changes back to normal, all volume controls start to work, and i have the option of apple tv and iphone, and then it switches back again.

while ive been typing this, it has switched between these two about 4 times...

the phone seems to think its been connected to a dock connector then taken off again.
that sounds like somethings wrong with the connector at the bottom of the phone..?

i tried cleaning the connector of the phone with small paint brushes.
when i now connect the phone to my pc, the volume is working and it doesnt say dock connector anymore.

bottom line, its a dirty connector issue, IMO

And the problem is back........

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Dirty faulty charging dock, affecting the volume bar in the iPod app?

Did you read the last post above this I have had it so I know I have been to apple and had it sorted read it clearly next time :)

Sent from my  iPhone 4S using Tapatalk ☠

Hi there,
I am going to move this to the Help Section so you can get more attention!

Thanks! :)

when volume bar dissapear just plug it out the earphone then plug it again hehehe its bug in IOS5.1 like mine when the songs on your playlist it removes the volume bar automatically so just try my advice when the volume bar disapear just plug it out the earphone and plug it again =))) i think it will be fix in IOS6

Status
Not open for further replies.