What's new

My unlimited data plan and making my iPhone 4 a hotspot

Tricon7

Reaction score
I have the unlimited data plan with Verizon, and I was wondering if I could make my iPhone 4 a hotspot during long road trips so that I could access the Internet with my iPad 3? Is that allowed, or can Verizon void my contract by doing so?

Dont know about verizon but AT&T will automatically put you on a $50 a month, 5gig data plan and drop your $30 a month unlimited... The unlimited plan isn't worth a crap anyway... Once you go over the 3 gigs they throttle your speed down to where it's unuseable. I'd rather pay another ten bucks for every gig over three I use as opposed to making my phone unuseable.. And 3 gigs is alot unless you stream crap all day long..

Last edited:
You need to contact Verizon to ensure you won't void your plan. With AT&T if they catch you tethering or using your phone as a hotspot, like OJsakila said they will change your plan for you. Actually I think they send you a warning text first and if you continue then your plan gets changed. I went ahead and bought a Mobile Broadband device and I can have 5 devices connect to it, with 5GB of data each month. I hardly use it but I have it when I need it and it has come in handy a few times already.

Just jailbreak your phone and download tetherme. Verizon can't see you tethering. One time I let 7 people tether off me at once. I racked up a gig in a few hours. They were streaming movies. Verizon can't see it. And I've never noticed any type of throttling.

Last edited:
^^^^. Ummm actually this is NOT true on AT&T. I am jailbroken and used tetherme last April to watch the Masters golf tournament... I actually posted on this site during that time (second weekend in April)... Well AT&T found out and did indeed warn me first and said they were going to change it for me if I kept it up... I also received a physical letter via snail mail, too.

^^^^. Ummm actually this is NOT true on AT&T. I am jailbroken and used tetherme last April to watch the Masters golf tournament... I actually posted on this site during that time (second weekend in April)... Well AT&T found out and did indeed warn me first and said they were going to change it for me if I kept it up... I also received a physical letter via snail mail, too.

Wow man that sucks. Maybe Verizon is different. I've been tethering mine for over a year with no problems whatsoever. Are you sure you used tetherMe? I heard they can detect if using other apps. I'm going to keep doing it until I get caught.

Last edited: