What's new

my overal impressions of lifeproof after month and a half of use

Hemi1300

Reaction score
I've read so many reviews on this case, most negative, so figured i would share my opinions on it. Have been using it for a month and a half now, and no plans of changing to a different case, i love it. Many people complain about the pillow effect with the screen protector. Yes, my case did have the pillow and it was very annoying at times, and would get water marks under it pretty frequently. Found some solutions on youtube, and have it just about perfect now. Removed the thin plastic strips down the back of the screen protector, helps it lay more flat on the screen. Issue with doing this is, makes the water mark effects even worse. So then i installed a griffin anti fingerprint screen protector, and it solved all the water mark issues. Screen protector sits much, much flatter now on the screen. Still a very slight pillow effect right above the home button, but not noticeable at all while texting and such, and screen responsivenes is still great. Also have seen many negative's about audio quality. Not a single person has said they hear an echo, can't hear me, etc-no problems what so ever with callers hearing me. Speaker phone, listening to radio, and hearing other people talk are all great too. Is the audio level effected-yes, but surprisingly not too noticeable. It is just a tad lower hearing the other caller than without a case, but surpring for a completely waterproof case, still sounds good. Noticed a post on here just the other day about the o-rings around the bottom speaker ports, and that one was missing. Think lifeproof designed the case this way for better sound or something, took mine off yesterday and mine looks the same-looks like an o-ring is missing around one of the audio ports. After removing it probably 10 times or so, I did the waterproof test without the phone in last night for an hour, and not one drop got in.

So my overall impressions-I am very happy with my lifeproof, belt holster also works great. Still gonna try the otterbox armor when it becomes available-but that thing looks like it will add more bulk than the defender. Used otterbox defender when i fist got the iphone. Love the feel and everything about the defender, but my main problem was dust always getting under the screen protector. I work in construction and always have my phone in the holster. Everyday the defender would get a bunch of dust specks under the screen and it drove me nuts. Probably my favorite thing about the lifeproof-100% sealed from dirt and dust. Was just drilling concrete above head the other day, and my phone was covered in concrete dust. Wiped it off, and not one speck of concrete dust got in! Rarely it will get one or two small specks under the screen protector, but i think that's from opening the charge port door, and somehow a small piece of dust will find it's way in. Normally goes away within a day or so. Love that i can toss my phone around, get it filthy in dirt or dust, and if i accidentally submerge it in water-no harm done. Have dropped it a handful of times without issues. Am i gonna go swimming with my phone-no, don't care what case i have-i still don't feel comfortable trusting a $50-100 phone case protecting my iphone while completely submerged in water, just not gonna do it. But i do from time to time wash it off in the sink, or throw it in a sinkful of water for a few seconds to impress friends lol. Sorry for the loooooong review, just wanted to share my honest opinion of the case after seeing so many negative's