What's new

My next phone: advice please

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So here's the deal. My wife and I are with the same carrier. I have an iPhone 4 and she has some sort of Blackberry. My iPhone has 8 months to go on it's present contract, hers has 13. I'm still perfectly satisfied with my iPhone, but the Blackberry is looking decidedly dodgy, freezing up and generally being badly behaved.

My wife was talking to the carrier's representative yesterday, and was told that I could upgrade my 4 to a 4S for $120 (Canadian). She could then pay $10 for a SIM and take over my 4, and continue her contract.

So here's my question. I was originally going to wait until the contract on my 4 was up, then see what was new and interesting at the time, but since we will be effectively upgrading a Blackberry to a 4S, is this a good way to go?

I would buy on off the Internet somewhere or off of a forum like this if someone has one for sale then you won't waste an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using the paid version of Tapatalk

Gregsaidthat said:
I would buy on off the Internet somewhere or off of a forum like this if someone has one for sale then you won't waste an upgrade.

Thanks. I'll suggest that to my wife, since it's her phone that we will be replacing. As I said, I'm still quite happy with my 4. Apparently, we don't have the option to chop the Blackberry in directly for a 4S.

Blackberry 10. The more revolutionary Blackberry to ever walk the market, it'll crush all Samsung and Apple competition EASY!! No I'm just kidding. RIM's got nothing on Apple. The 4S is a very strong device. It's the successor of the 3GS in the long-term support and riding device. At the rate Apple is spitting out iPhones, it'll still be around when the 7 comes out if not the 8.... And for $120, it's not that bad considering it's $99 just down south.

Exactly. You should be able to find an iPhone out there for a good price. Just saying the upgrade in the long run will be more beneficial. Keep it!

willerz2 said:
Blackberry 10. The more revolutionary Blackberry to ever walk the market, it'll crush all Samsung and Apple competition EASY!! No I'm just kidding. RIM's got nothing on Apple. The 4S is a very strong device. It's the successor of the 3GS in the long-term support and riding device. At the rate Apple is spitting out iPhones, it'll still be around when the 7 comes out if not the 8.... And for $120, it's not that bad considering it's $99 just down south.

Thanks. We supposedly have a good contract, so good that its not generally available any more. That $120 is only part of the price in this respect, since the contract period of 3 years obviously contains a component to pay for the phone, but to keep the bells and whistles, I need to renew the contract as is, whether there's a new phone involved or not.

Thanks for your quick responses, guys. That gives us a few options to consider, and I still have some time since the BB hasn't snuffed it completely (yet).

I'd find an iPhone4 on the web...don't waste your upgrade going to a 4S, upgrades are too valuable right now. Then, wait until your upgrade comes up and see about the next iteration of the iPhone coming out, unless it's a 5S, then wait for the 6. Honestly, it's a lot more convenient if you both upgrade the same day, but that's only semantics. Before you hate me, I have a 4S and love it, and if I had a 4 I may or may not upgrade to the 5. Sure, it's sleek and pretty sexy, but there's really not much of a technology upgrade from the 4S, except for some speed. The 4 is a lot slower, but still usable. You should both do iPhone4 until you can both upgrade in 13 months...then hopefully the 6 will be out with a bigger size and some new technology.

MDMoney said:
I'd find an iPhone4 on the web...don't waste your upgrade going to a 4S, upgrades are too valuable right now. Then, wait until your upgrade comes up and see about the next iteration of the iPhone coming out, unless it's a 5S, then wait for the 6. Honestly, it's a lot more convenient if you both upgrade the same day, but that's only semantics. Before you hate me, I have a 4S and love it, and if I had a 4 I may or may not upgrade to the 5. Sure, it's sleek and pretty sexy, but there's really not much of a technology upgrade from the 4S, except for some speed. The 4 is a lot slower, but still usable. You should both do iPhone4 until you can both upgrade in 13 months...then hopefully the 6 will be out with a bigger size and some new technology.

Thanks for that advice. I think I'm going to hold out as you suggest so long as that BB keeps functioning, and if it doesn't there's always Kijiji or Craigslist.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I have a far better idea of where I'm going now.