What's new

My mate just got his 1st iphone.

jockmcd

Reaction score
He has just got an iphone4 running 5.1.1 and he would like me to jailbreak his phone although he has just asked if its ok to jailbreak as he shares his itunes account with his fiancee and hers is not jailbroken ? I do know how to jailbreak just dont know if its allowed on the same itunes, hers is NOT jailbroken .

Cheers Al.

Hello poison im not new here to i have used the site for sometime now :) ive even managed to help people myself on here since i became a member yay.

I should add to my previous post that both there phones are recognised differentely i.e Adams iphone says Adams and his fianccee's says her name they do not actually share the same account but just the itunes software, cheers.

If someone could advise that would be great.

sorry about that,i didn't notice,I'm sure someone will be able to help :)

Last edited:
Yeah should be no problem to use the software for jb and non jb phones.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I wouldve thought it should be ok but thought i should check first.

Yes, just to confirm, your mate will be fine. Jailbreaking a phone does not stop it from doing the things it normally does, such as syncing with iTunes etc. and it won't alter the behaviour or configuration. The PC he currently syncs to will continue to accept the device for synchronisation, and to be honest, it won't even notice any change.

Hope that helps.

Nice one thats cool for me, 1 more question though, i know i wouldnt do it to my own iphone or ipad but what would happen if he updated his phone to higher ios than 5.1.1 by mistake when available ? What are the consequencies.

Nice one thats cool for me, 1 more question though, i know i wouldnt do it to my own iphone or ipad but what would happen if he updated his phone to higher ios than 5.1.1 by mistake when available ? What are the consequencies.

If he does that, he will lose his jailbreak. If the version he restores to (he won't be able to update, only restore. You can't update a jb device), cannot yet be jailbroken, he may be stuck with a stock device for a while, or since it is an iPhone4, he can choose to downgrade it to 5.1.1 using saved SHSH Blobs. Cydia will initiate saving his blobs automatically the first time it is started. If he uses an app like PkgBackup when he is jailbroken, he can save away his JB apps, tweaks and settings as a backup to be restored in the future should he make such a mistake!

Rather than getting you to do it, it sounds like he should get himself over here and read a few threads himself! Better to know what you are getting yourself into than rely on a mate to do it for you! No offence to you of course! If he isn't able to work out how to jailbreak, I don't really see the point of him doing it... He won't get much value from enhancing his device without getting to know the capabilities, and doing the jailbreak itself is a great first step. Unless of course that's not the reason for jailbreaking, in which case, no more help from us!

I will ahow him how to use cydia and winterboard etc to modify things he wants to pimp his up by adding lityle tweaks , nothing more and i value your help , i have no idea why you would say no more help?

There will always be someone here to help. The whole process of learning about jail breaking is trial and error. That's why sometimes we run into issues as one tweak conflicts with another.

There is lots of tutorials on the net, you tube videos and constant threads on here and other forums.

In the end it's only dumb not to ask a question.

Sometimes some more experienced users forget they were once novices ,and asked noob questions.

Take care.

I will ahow him how to use cydia and winterboard etc to modify things he wants to pimp his up by adding lityle tweaks , nothing more and i value your help , i have no idea why you would say no more help?

That's good to hear. My point was why do it for him? The best way to learn all about jailbreaking is by doing it. Guide him, help him, show him how easy the jailbreak is. Get him to join the forum and see what it's all about. In my experience, you learn so much more that way, and get so much more out of enhancing your iPhone in the long run. Then maybe one day soon he'll teach you some stuff he's discovered :D

And just to clarify, I wasn't saying I wouldn't help any more ;) I was trying to convey that if your mates reasons for jailbreaking his phone were not legitimate - i.e. not enhancing and pimping his phone, then we don't support that kind of thing here. Far too many folks just jailbreak mates devices to let them pirate apps. It's great to hear you are not carrying on that despicable tradition!

I am encouraging him to read up on it and hopefully he will join this forum , it is by far the best way, like you say you will learn so much by doing this, he had a really really old nokia he is not computer minded but is you g 28 year old guy so i think he will pick it up eventually given time , i will be asking him to join here bud no doubt and mqny thanks again much appreciato ! ;-)

Heres something I just noticed the below comes from the the absinthejailbreak page.

*Be aware, as things stand you cannot install 5.1.1 on your iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS IF Apple have closed the signing window on 5.1.1*

can i just back up his phone and restore to 5.1.1 on itunes like i done with my iphone4 or does the above mean i cannot restore his 5.1.1 on itunes anymore ?

Basically i would back his phone up and then i wouldve pressed restore on itunes same as i did for mine but the above makes me a little more cautious , or should i be ok to carry on as per i done mine ?

Cheers ;-)

Heres something I just noticed the below comes from the the absinthejailbreak page.

*Be aware, as things stand you cannot install 5.1.1 on your iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS IF Apple have closed the signing window on 5.1.1*

can i just back up his phone and restore to 5.1.1 on itunes like i done with my iphone4 or does the above mean i cannot restore his 5.1.1 on itunes anymore ?

Basically i would back his phone up and then i wouldve pressed restore on itunes same as i did for mine but the above makes me a little more cautious , or should i be ok to carry on as per i done mine ?

Cheers ;-)

The singing window for 5.1.1 will remain open until IOS6 is released publicly in September (best estimate), or until they release another minor release of IOS 5, i.e. 5.1.2 (unlikely), so don't worry about that mate. You can just use Absinthe as normal, no need to restore it if 5.1.1 is on there.

Last edited: