What's new

my ipod touch 2 is bricked and need help to restore

Col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now before you start laughing at me because I am the one seeking help I just want you to know I have exausted all my ideas on how to fix this problem. knowing we have heaps of experts in the forum I am hoping some one out there can fix my ipod touch so my lovely partner can enjoy it again

I have an ipod touch 2nd generation that is not jail broken and has been working fine. The ipod touch was given to my partners daughter whom changed users on my Macbook and proceeded to restore it.

Restored failed and is now in permanent recovery mode with black screen with error 1600 showing every time we try. Further more the Mac book with Itunes cannot identify the serial number or specs of the ipod

I have tried to sort issue on a PC with latest itunes down load with out sucess. Also searched the web and found nothing that really answers the question except they talk about jail breaking the ipod ???? I want it back to normal.

The equipement i have at home is:
Ipod Touch 2
Macbook 2008 with snow leopard os
itunes latest version
I have access to PC's as I sell them where I am employed
So is there any one out there whom can help PLEASE

Thanks Col

Last edited:
What do you mean by your iPod is unlocked?

Have you tried getting it into DFU mode or using a different USB cable? Sometimes tinyumbrella can prove usefull in 'kicking it out of recovery'...

It is in dfu mode the iPod was never jail broken I will try tiny umbrella. But running a bit blind Funny been supporting ipads iPhones and iPods never had this happen. Lol.

I have changed cables tried restore on a brand new laptop pc still error 1600 I will try tiny umbrella tonight.

Last edited:
When you tried the restore on the new laptop did you download the firmware via iTunes or did you copy it from a memory stick...?

Via iTunes it starts installing then stops states error 1600 tiny umbrella came up with an error also which may be because of the version of iOS Not sure

Have you tried using a custom ipsw?

TBH it's starting to sound more like hardware than software to me...

If you have a link for custom ipsw please provide it. I also believe it may be hardware it is possible her daughter dropped it as it was perfect before she tried to restore it on another itunes account different user

You can create your own using pawnage tool on the mac or snowbreeze on PC. You can find plenty through google but I wouldn't know which ones to trust.

I'll have a look tonight for you...

Colin, did you get this sorted? My daughters have the iPod touch 2g and I would really like to know how this ended? Hayley

maybe you can try bringing it to apple store? maybe they can help you there..