What's new

My 5 won't come off silent!

Borvad

Reaction score
Switched the wee side button to silent while in work yesterday, and today although i pushed the button back to normal, its still as if its on silent.

YouTube vids wont play any sound, theres no 'swish' noise when i send a text or receive an email.

Help please, thanks in advance

.........now I cant hear any ring when I dial someone......called my parents house and I cant hear any response from the other end unless I put the 5 on speakerphone

Last edited:
Try turning up the volume. Maybe you muted your device with the volume buttons also.

Try turning up the volume. Maybe you muted your device with the volume buttons also.

Thats the first thing I tried, volume is way up.
Can't hear any msuic playing through it either.....but I can when I plug in headphones, and can also hear the other person at the end of the phone via the headphones as well

Make sure that port and plug are clean. Remove any debris carefully and cautiously.

Did you also try to reset your iPhone? Press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. Let go of both buttons. Your device will power up on it's own.

just did that as you suggested.....same thing......i try the volume button and it works as normal but it comes up 'headphones' even though there arent any plugged in

A few more suggestions:

Attach the headphones and unplug them again. Try this two or three times

Did you also check the plug for moisture?

Have you tried just powering the phone off and on again?

Also check to see if "Do not Disturb" is on.

Have done all that, and also just gone through the restore....and back, and still the same :(

Have done all that, and also just gone through the restore....and back, and still the same :(
I had a look on Google and although this sounds weird it has worked for some.....You sqeeze the bottom corner of the phone where the speaker is for about 20 seconds....Worth a try I would think.

Another thing to check is in the Music player, make sure the volume is way up in there.