What's new

Music on my iPhone starts, stops, speeds up and skips seemingly at random.

strangederby

Reaction score
A few months ago something odd started to happen to the built in iPod app on my old 3G 8G iPhone. Something that seems to be headphone related as it only happens when my phones are plugged in. The iPod will start playing music at random times, skip tracks and suddenly start to play at high speed. When this happens the play, pause control in the iPod app will stop responding but the control slide/scrubber still works.

Ive looked at some forums and it appears that others are also having the same problem with different generation phones but I've yet to find a solution.

As an example if I plug in some headphones and start to stream something from YouTube a song from the iPod app will suddenly start playing, skipping and speeding up. If I try to listen to a podcast or some music that I've previously downloaded the skipping and speeding up also happens. I've tried buying new headphones but this does not help.

Ive read about the Iphone's capacity to receive signals for track/volume controls via a controller attached to the headphone cable on the offical apple headphones, could this be causing the problem?

NB the shake to shuffle option is switched off.