What's new

Music App

rasmith1959

Reaction score
I drive trucks for a living, and as a result I listen to a lot of music. I put 1,000 songs on my iPhone to give me a good variety of music to listen to for a few days. I sync a smart playlist that removes recently played songs and replaces it with the least recently played songs. So the music on my phone is constantly changing. I do it this way because I don't have a lot of cellular data to burn, so streaming music is out of the question. Sure I could stream using WiFi, but I've yet to see a WiFi hotspot that covers a 75 mile area...

Along comes iOS 8.4.1 with a new music app that includes Apple Music, which I declined to use. Next thing I notice is that for some untold reason my cellular data use starts increasing. My first thought was that the wife who shares the data with me has been using more, but that wasn't the case as it was my phone using more data, not hers. So I start poking around trying to figure out why my phone was using so much data than before, and I think I've figured it out.

With the new music app with Apple Music there was also a new playlist called Purchased Music. This playlist shows all the music you've purchased from iTunes whether it's on your device or not. If there's a song that is in this list and it is on your device, then that copy is played, but if it isn't then it is streamed from the iTunes servers. Ok fine I can live with that, I just won't play that playlist or so I thought. Turns out that if you use a smart playlist not only will it play that list, it will also include any songs from the Purchased Music playlist that matches the smart playlist's criteria.

The fix is really simple, delete the Purchased Music playlist. Once that is done the only music that the phone see's is what is actually stored on the device.

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Yea isn't it great, Apple still thinks they know what people need and want and yet they really have no clue what-so-ever! Really wish they would have made the entire Apple Music a separate app so people that don't want anything to do with it, or Beats 1, can just ignore/disable that app/service, and let the rest of us that just want to play our own music have the ease to do so without all this nonsense...Sorry for the rant, Apple Music and iTunes is pushing me closer and closer to ditching the iPhone...

My phone had all those U2's songs that U2 kindly freely gave. I do not listen to U2. They were in the purchased Playlist.

I was not noticing upped data usage, but I deleted that laylist as suggested. I did however, touch the "All Playlists" that appears in the middle of the screen when you select Playlists. At the bottom of the screen a little thingy pops up. You have the option of "Only Offline Music". It will only show music on my phone. Would this do the same thing. When it is selected the U2 songs no longer show up on the phone, either in playlists or in My Music. Just wondering if this is an option for,tnise who want to keep playlist in case they want to listen to the purchased sometime. They come back when you turn that option off and dosappear when you turn it on.

Edited section:

Also, in "My Music" if you touch the red text in the middle, "Songs", "Albums", whatever from the options you have selected as your viewing option, you will get the option for Only Offline Music, also.

Another option:
Settings, iTunes & App Store: turn off Use Cellular Data. You will be able to use WiFi, but not cellular for app store and music. You can always turn it back on if needed when you don't have WiFi.

Anothef option:

Settings, iTunes & App Store, Automatic Downloads: disable for music or whatever you don't want automatic.

Hope this helps more than hinders. I generallh do not like automatic anything. It never goes the way I prefer.

Last edited:
I actually like AppleMusic, but I do listen to other streaming music providers/apps. I have a folder dedicated to "stuff" I don't use and can't delete.

I actually like AppleMusic, but I do listen to other streaming music providers/apps. I have a folder dedicated to "stuff" I don't use and can't delete.
I do the same, I call it "Apple C**p Folder"

Last edited: