What's new

Multiply message alerts but no messages on iPhone 4S

expat1973

Reaction score
Just recently I keep getting 4 received messages tri-tone alerts back to back very quickly, but when I check my phone I have no incoming messages. I also sometimes hear the alerts when I am in the middle of a call. I have done a hard reset and restarted my phone.

Seems to happen several times a day even if my phone is not being used. Getting annoying, any help would be appreciated. Only had the phone for 3 months.

Last edited:
Check settings > sound look to see what sounds are assigned to what
Then goto settings -> notification center to adjust

Have checked that already, no settings have been changed or new apps installed since it started to do this several days ago?

Last edited:
Have checked that already, no settings have been changed or new apps installed since it started to do this several days ago?
But please check that those are not the notifications for previously existing apps. :)

If this is email related do google search for

iphone 4s phantom messages
How do we understand whether its e-mail related or not? Theres only the sound, no notifications. Tri-tone is the default tone for notifications, and it is possible to keep only the sound turned on, without the alerts. So, if theres no mail, it must be something related to app notifications. :)