What's new

Multiple Devices, One iTunes Account, Individual Sync and Settings?

DaveM

Reaction score
Scenerio: iPhone and iPad, same owner, one (Windows) computer login, need different sync settings on each device

Is this possible? Can iTunes recognize the difference between these two devices when they get plugged in and allow individualized sync settings for each? Or will iTunes attempt to apply the same settings and apps to the phone as the iPad?

Example: iPhone has different e-mail accounts than iPad. iPhone syncs contacts and e-mails from Outlook. iPad does not sync from Outlook at all.

Yes you can have different settings for different devices. I run 2 iPhones, an iPod touch and an iPad mini thru our one iTunes account with three different apples ids. It's a bit overwhelming at first but works decent once set up.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Yes you can have different settings for different devices. I run 2 iPhones, an iPod touch and an iPad mini thru our one iTunes account with three different apples ids. It's a bit overwhelming at first but works decent once set up.

Thanks for your response. That's really good to know! When you get a few minutes would you mind giving some detail on exactly how to do this?

First and most important, in the settings of itunes (I want to say edit ->preferences) there is a check box for "allow automatic syncing of devices" make sure that is off. Then as you connect each device itunes will recognize that a different device has been added and you can adjust the individual device settings from there.

Some will say to have manually manage music and videos turned on but I found that for me syncing playlists has worked the best. I have smart playlists set up for my wife, son and myself to keep the purchased music from each device on that device. It does require some intervention before I sync but has worked well. For example my wife's is set up to include purchased, and no rating songs and mine is set to purchased, and 5 star ratings. When I buy a song I have to set a rating otherwise it'll sync to her phone and I'd have to go into itunes and adjust it back. Not a hassle by any means but I have to remember to do it.

As far as apps, we don't really share those so I don't have it set to sync anything from that aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Last edited:
Great information! It's interesting that you don't sync the apps. I do (on my phone) but I never really thought about exactly why it needs to be done. Is there a good reason why it might be a good idea to sync apps? Really appreciate your response.

anyone know why after syncing in itunes some tones don't load...some music doesn't load...never seems to be the same any 2 times!!! very frustrating....if i add a tone it seems to delete some of the others??? they all stay on itunes but they all don't transfer to the phone??

ideas??

anyone know why after syncing in itunes some tones don't load...some music doesn't load...never seems to be the same any 2 times!!! very frustrating....if i add a tone it seems to delete some of the others??? they all stay on itunes but they all don't transfer to the phone??

ideas??
Your question would probably get more attention if you started a thread of your own. New unrelated threads in the middle of a existing one tend to get buried. I see you're a brand new poster, so I assume this may be a little new to you. Welcome to the forums!

Great information! It's interesting that you don't sync the apps. I do (on my phone) but I never really thought about exactly why it needs to be done. Is there a good reason why it might be a good idea to sync apps? Really appreciate your response.

Don't have an answer, just never have. Maybe someone el can chime in.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

I sync apps just as a convenience sometimes. There's not really a "need" though. If I don't feel like updating several apps on my phone, I'll do it on iTunes and then sync. Or, if I want to move a bunch of my apps around on different screens...it's easier to do it on iTunes and then I sync. Can't think of anything else really, but someone else may have something to add.