What's new

Moving to France with my iPhone 4

UnCanard

Reaction score
Hello! I realise this is an incredibly stupid question, but I searched the forums and I couldn't find the information I was looking for.

I have an iPhone 4 in Colombia and it's blocked by my service provider. Since they're like the mean version of a kick in the kidneys, they're NOT going to unblock my phone unless I pretty much pay them $500.

Second, I am moving to Paris in a few months, and I would really like to use my mobile. A friend is giving me her old Orange prepaid sim card, I'll cut it or something into a microsim card, right? Now, what I would like you guys to help me with is:

Can I (a) unlock my mobile so that it works with other providers worldwide? (b) will my LatAm born-and-raised iPhone work in France with a French card? and, last (c) what are the network configurations for Orange? I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Welcome,

When you say blocked do you mean that your phone is IMEI blocked? Or did you mean locked so that you can only use their sim?

You can't unlock your phone unless the baseband (modem firmware) is 01.59.00. You can find this out by going to Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware...

Welcome,

When you say blocked do you mean that your phone is IMEI blocked? Or did you mean locked so that you can only use their sim?

You can't unlock your phone unless the baseband (modem firmware) is 01.59.00. You can find this out by going to Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware...

Thanks for the wlecome!

I have no idea if it's the IMEI and the sim or both. The Moden Firmware, though, says 04.10.01
Does that mean there's nothing I can do to unblock my phone so I can use other sims? Nothing at all? Like Jailbreak it?

So your still able to use your phone on the original networks sim?

If that's our baseband then your only option is a gevey sim, although I wouldn't recommend one. If you do decide to get one make sure it's form the official site (applenberry). There's plenty of fakes on both eBay and amazon...

I'm having a similar issue. I'm moving to France from the US and want to unlock my iphone 4 but AT$T say they won't unlock me, under any circumstances. They suggest I get the new provider in France to unlock it, which I am very cynical about.
I f*cking hate ATT- i've given them thousands of dollars and they won't let me keep my phone in a usable condition.

Unlike other makes, the service provider has to tell Apple to set it free, stolen or lost phones are effectively blocked the same way.

This as the benefit if stopping them from being so attractive to steal, or being bought on a contract and claiming loss then selling on.

Unfortunately if the provider won't play ball your best option is likely to wipe it and sell it in the originating country, and purchase new when you move.

When you set up your new phone attach it to the original profile and all your apps will be transferred from Apple, sort is sweetens the 'pip' a bit 😁.

Unlike other makes, the service provider has to tell Apple to set it free, stolen or lost phones are effectively blocked the same way.

This as the benefit if stopping them from being so attractive to steal, or being bought on a contract and claiming loss then selling on.

Unfortunately if the provider won't play ball your best option is likely to wipe it and sell it in the originating country, and purchase new when you move.

When you set up your new phone attach it to the original profile and all your apps will be transferred from Apple, sort is sweetens the 'pip' a bit .

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like that might be the best plan, though I am going to roll the dice and try the gevey unlocker. I'll let you know if I end up with a brick.