What's new

Moving pictures?

ardchoille

Reaction score
Searched for this but didn't find what I needed. I've created a couple of folders in the photo app and want to move some pics out of Camera Roll to the new folder. I can see how to "add" pics to a new folder but can't figure out how to move pics out of camera roll and into a new folder. If I add pics from camera roll to a new folder and then attempt to delete them from camera roll the system seems to want to delete them from everywhere and I don't want that. Is this possible? Not jail broken.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Searched for this but didn't find what I needed. I've created a couple of folders in the photo app and want to move some pics out of Camera Roll to the new folder. I can see how to "add" pics to a new folder but can't figure out how to move pics out of camera roll and into a new folder. If I add pics from camera roll to a new folder and then attempt to delete them from camera roll the system seems to want to delete them from everywhere and I don't want that. Is this possible? Not jail broken.

Unfortunately, Apple's version of a folder for photos is a little ... different. When you put a phot into a folder,you are not actually moving the photo. You are making a link to it and the link sits inside the folder; the actual picture is still in the camera roll. That is why, if you delete a photo from the camera roll, it appears to delete it from everywhere (because you're actually breaking a link).

Sorry, but that's the way the app works. Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
ardchoille

ardchoille

Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Unfortunately, Apple's version of a folder for photos is a little ... different. When you put a phot into a folder,you are not actually moving the photo. You are making a link to it and the link sits inside the folder; the actual picture is still in the camera roll. That is why, if you delete a photo from the camera roll, it appears to delete it from everywhere (because you're actually breaking a link).

Sorry, but that's the way the app works. Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Thank you, that explains a lot. And it helps me understand the system a bit better.

Latest posts