What's new

Moving over to Mac land

ardchoille

Reaction score
Today I sold my netbook, the last vestige of Linux in my life. I had been using nothing but Linux for a decade and was content. That is, I was content until I purchased my iPhone 4S. iOS showed me that I had been missing a great deal. So, I am now officially an iFan. I feel so much cleaner, lol.

The next thing for me will be either an iMac or a Mac mini - it's so hard to choose.

Poisonivy said:
Thats the trouble,you get one Apple device and you have to have more :)

Again, I blame Apple, lol.

The good news is better than 90% of your linux knowledge will be directly usable in OSX. In fact the first thing you will probably want to do after you do a baseline backup is to install Mac Ports (The MacPorts Project -- Home). The other thing I would recommend is getting Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/) so you can run virtual machines of any Linux distro or Windows OS. Basically my iMac is running OSX, Win 7 and Mint (Ubuntu) 24/7. In fact my average uptime is around 60 days before I need to reboot anything.

I started out with windows pc,s,had two laptops,then i got my MacBook pro and theres no way i would ever go back.

Skull One said:
The good news is better than 90% of your linux knowledge will be directly usable in OSX. In fact the first thing you will probably want to do after you do a baseline backup is to install Mac Ports (The MacPorts Project -- Home). The other thing I would recommend is getting Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/) so you can run virtual machines of any Linux distro or Windows OS. Basically my iMac is running OSX, Win 7 and Mint (Ubuntu) 24/7. In fact my average uptime is around 60 days before I need to reboot anything.

Got to say parallels is great. I was a big VMware fan, and at work it takes the cake, we have pretty big 400+ core implementation. but for workstation virtualization on the Mac parallels has the upper hand.
I even virtualized mountain lion for testing.

I also believe that, with Parallels, you can install Windows or Linux as a bootcamp, then use Parallels to access the BC partition as its source and use it virtualized. I could be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere. I do not have Parallels and no longer need a Bootcamp version of Windows.

I also believe that, with Parallels, you can install Windows or Linux as a bootcamp, then use Parallels to access the BC partition as its source and use it virtualized. I could be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere. I do not have Parallels and no longer need a Bootcamp version of Windows.

Yes you can. And it works GREAT. I ran that way for over a year. But after I realized I had only booted directly to Windows twice, I decided to just convert the bootcamp to a virtual HD and freed up the disk space. I now keep all of my Virtual HDs on a thunderbolt drive that speed tests at 178 Megabytes per seconds. Which is much faster than the built in HD in my iMac.

Wowsers, looks like my Linux knowledge won't go unused, good to know. Now you all have me wanting a Mac even more :)

I just bought Tapatalk and it looks like it will allow me to report posts, something I was going to miss since I work hard to help out here. Tapatalk is quite nice.

Thank you all for the replies, looks like I'm going to have quite a bit of fun in the Mac world!

Last edited:
Go with the MAC Mini PC, much easier to customize and add memory too, than the iMac. If you get a iMac and decide you want a bigger display, buy a new iMac, if you buy a Mac Mini, just get a bigger monitor, much cheaper that way. Also it's easier to upgrade drives on the Mac mini.

Go with the MAC Mini PC, much easier to customize and add memory too, than the iMac. If you get a iMac and decide you want a bigger display, buy a new iMac, if you buy a Mac Mini, just get a bigger monitor, much cheaper that way. Also it's easier to upgrade drives on the Mac mini.

Ah, very nice! I have a friend who has a huge TV with 2 HDMI ports. That will come in handy for a Mac mini and my new Apple TV.

Last edited:
Poor choice on my part. I got a Roku when I had my iMac because it was less expensive. And I got what I paid for. I'll bet that Apple TV gives much better sound quality and has less problems processing data.

I've spent all my toy money for the year so I probably won't be able to replace that Roku yet. I really don't need it until the Spring, I use it to watch MLB TV and my iPad 2 performed faster. I was always 2 outs behind my iPad using Roku.

I love my Apple TV. It's fast and smooth, none of the choppiness that I heard others were plagued with. I've been watching Mr. Bean all day on my Netflix account.

The main reason I bought the Apple TV instead of the other streaming media boxes is because it's an Apple product - I was amazed at the iPhone, iPad and MacBook and figured the TV would have been the same high quality, I wasn't disappointed.

You'll love the Apple TV.

Last edited:
The pennies have been hitting the piggy bank hard. I'm about half way to my MBP. It's going to be hell saving enough to spec it how I want it. I just know I'll be tempted to go and buy the cheapest model as soon as I have the available cash. I must be strong!

The pennies have been hitting the piggy bank hard. I'm about half way to my MBP. It's going to be hell saving enough to spec it how I want it. I just know I'll be tempted to go and buy the cheapest model as soon as I have the available cash. I must be strong!

I know exactly how you feel, I've been stashing money away too. Yes, we must be strong.. that "buy the cheapest model the moment you have the money" is contagious, lol.

Last edited: