What's new

Most Expensive Apple Watch Version Priced at $17,000, Marks Apple's Entry into the Luxury Market

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
apple-watch-expensive-jpg.63278

Right before the Apple Watch launch, my colleague Maura informed you about a rumored Platinum edition of the device. While this hasn't been the case, Tim Cook did announce that the Apple Watch Edition will be priced starting from $10,000.

With this product, Apple is making its its first foray into the luxury market. This has been a carefully planned move by the Cupertino-based company, as we've seen them hire Burberry's head of retail, Angela Ahrendts, and they have also featured the product in magazines with a wealthy audience.

The most expensive Apple Watch version is the one you can see in the above screenshot - the 38mm 18-Karat Yellow Gold model. The above image is showcasing the Yellow Gold Case with Bright Red Modern Buckle version but there is also a 18-Karat Rose Gold Case with Rose Gray Modern Buckle model, as well.

The price difference between the most affordable Apple Watch, the Sport model, and this one is huge - $16651. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this might the biggest discrepancy yet in the same line of an Apple product. And this means only one thing - Apple has entered the luxury market on its own terms.

We have seen so many third-party companies make expensive versions of iPhone, iPads and now it seems that Apple itself wants a piece of the luxury market. The Apple Watch seems to be the best choice yet, because it combines the traditional elements of a watch, such as the metal build and stylish straps with the technological offering of Apple.

The reason behind Apple's take on the luxury market is the same as always - profit margins. The company is one of the best in the world at making money and it's now showing us that it has the right resources to make even more.

Source: Apple

Think about the cost to update if they release a new model every year. Another $17,000 to get the new model is certainly out of the picture for almost everybody. I hope they have a generous trade in program for those who buy the Apple Watch Edition.

too rich for my blood, but even if I had the spare cash I am not sure I would get it as I don't like the straps for that particular model