What's new

More Durable Stainless Steel iPhone And iPod Touch Next Year

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpAzRl0-Ok8]YouTube - More Durable Stainless Steel iPhone And iPod Touch Next Year - iOS Vlog 168[/ame]​

Apple recently patented something the named "Nitriding Stainless Steel for Consumer Electronic Products". The patent allows Apple to put a layer of nitride onto a stainless steel device. What that layer will do is make it scratch resistant, rust resistant, and more durable. The devices would look a lot like the same material the iPhone 4 antenna is currently made out of. A stainless steel iPhone? What do you all think?

This finish is already common with tools. I have had drill and screwdriver bits with this finish for several years now. On my tools, it is a gold colour.

Not sure I really like the feel of steel but I still think the glass on the back was a retarded idea. I catcher but not too practical. Steel would defo be better. I still wonder how they are going to release the white phone in the spring and then a whole new phone a quarter later? Or do you think the 4 will be around longer? Because considering all the problems that wouldn't make much sense.