What's new

Mobile Hotspot on iphone 4s???

evo1

Reaction score
Anyone used the mobile hotspot yet? How are the speeds with 3g?

evo1 said:
Anyone used the mobile hotspot yet? How are the speeds with 3g?

Yes I have and it was fairly slow but okay. My service area is not generally known for fast data speeds on Sprint so I wasn't really surprised at this. I had a 4g EVO before but I am not in a 4g area so I went to the iPhone 4S. I would say in 3G territory that it was the same as my EVO on 3G but I'll have to use it more to know for sure.

How much are try charging for it now? Is there a per day rate?

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Is there a limit in how much data you can use with mobile hotspot?

Is there a limit in how much data you can use with mobile hotspot?

Only your carrier data plan limitations. Nothing on the phone itself limits how much data can be used or artificially limits the speed.

supsandroid said:
It's 29.99 a month

Is it something that can be turned on for a month and then turned off the next, or is there a minimum number of months you have to keep it on (or does it have to be kept on for the remainder of your contract)? I'm thinking it's a bit pricy, but might be worth it for the occasional month when I'm away from home and may need to use a laptop away from a WiFi connection.

I thought perhaps there might be a per-day rate of some sort. $30 is off-putting for a lot of people so less folks use it. $30 comes out to $1 a day. But if Sprint were to charge, say, $2 for a day's worth of access, some folks would be tempted to use the feature. Sprint would make 100% more profit between two people who each use about 15 days (or three people who each use 10 days or four people who each use about 7 days, etc) than one person using 30 days at $30. Thus, the hotspot feature would truly be convenient for folks who may need it from time to time at a cheap price and Sprint still makes money.

Of course, if there IS a $1/day billing, then by all means, in the spirit of Roseanne Roseannadanna; "Never minnnd."

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

nightfly said:
Is it something that can be turned on for a month and then turned off the next, or is there a minimum number of months you have to keep it on (or does it have to be kept on for the remainder of your contract)? I'm thinking it's a bit pricy, but might be worth it for the occasional month when I'm away from home and may need to use a laptop away from a WiFi connection.

You would have to call your service provider. I don't see why you couldn't have it on for only a month

The mobile hotspot for any sprint device that is capable of supporting the hotspot function is $29.99 a month which is non contractual so you can add and remove the service at anytime. You can use it for a month remove it and re add it again 3 months down the line and so on. There is also a 5gb cap per month while using the mobile spot which is separate from your normal data on the phone which is unlimited