What's new

Microsoft Office Coming to iOS Early 2013

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
9431-microsoft-office.JPG

According to a report on The Verge today, Microsoft Office is most definitely on the way to iOS, and will be here in early 2013. Yes I know we’ve already heard this a few times before, but The Verge even has pictures, and says that it has heard from sources close to Microsoft that an iOS Office is on the way. One version of the app will be free, but will only enable you to view Microsoft Office documents on your iPhone or iPad. You will then be able to buy an Office 365 subscription if you want to edit documents in the app. Apparently the editing facilities will only be basic though, and will not compare to the full desktop office version. As with the likes of OneNote, you will need a Microsoft account in order to access even the most basic Word, PowerPoint or Excel facilities.

Source: Exclusive: Microsoft Office for iPhone, iPad, and Android revealed | The Verge

This really doesn't make sense to me for a couple of reasons. Microsoft has stopped making Office for Macs. Why develop it for IOS, specially since they are planning to have a tablet and Windows Phone?

HEY NOW! Don't you dare ask common sense questions like that. What is wrong with you? LOL! ;)

I am of the opinion that the 100+ million active iOS devices might have something to do with it. Snag .5% of the user base at $30 a year and you make roughly $11 million a year. And it keeps people interested in Office for a bit longer.

If we only use these 4th Quarter 2012 numbers (Apple - Press Info - Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results) we get 40.9 million iPads and iPhones sold versus 4.9 million Macs (that is all of their laptops and desktop units combined). And notice I only used 100+ million for my example. The real number is actually closer to 300+ million. But I only like to use a number that would be considered "a device that is actually used every day". And I think 100+ million is well within reason for that estimate. So technically MS could rake in well over $30+ million a year in revenue if we included all the devices actual out there that are still functioning.

Personally, I'm looking REALLY forward to seeing what Microsoft has to offer. Because now I'm using Office^2 and Pages, and they're suiting my Microsoft needs nicely since they replicate almost every feature one way or another.