What's new

Messed Up Badly and Need a Question Answered

jcamaro

Reaction score
Me not knowing a lot about phones but enough to get by I jail broke my 3gs with no problems. Last night I went on I-Tunes and they said there was a up date on the firmware. So I did a backup and then loaded the new software and lost the jail break and the apps that I loaded through Cydia. I tried to do a restore but I got nothing. Am I screwed or can I do something to go back and be jail broke again?? Thank you for your time.

Well... I'm going to assume the update you made was to iOS 5.1 correct? If so, then in regards to Jailbreak... you've set yourself back to having a Tethered Jailbreak. You can Jailbreak w/ redsn0w 0.9.10b6.

First off thanks for helping, it was the 5.1 and had I known this was going to happen I would not have updated. What is the difference between tethered and un-tethered and how do I do it? I can't just reload from I-Tune right since I all ready hit the right button on the mouse and then hit restore from backup and that didn't work.

jcamaro said:
First off thanks for helping, it was the 5.1 and had I known this was going to happen I would not have updated. What is the difference between tethered and un-tethered and how do I do it? I can't just reload from I-Tune right since I all ready hit the right button on the mouse and then hit restore from backup and that didn't work.

Once you've updated there's no way to go back to 5.0.1. :-( The jailbreak works the same as far as executing it goes. In difference, and big drawback, with the Tethered JB is the need to connect to your computer whenever the iPhone restarts. You'll have to run redsn0w and "Just Boot" to do this.

So then your saying I'm screwed until something comes out untethered Well thanks for the help I am never going to up date again or is that not going to happen

I really don't know if I am wasting my time and your but I installed Tiny-Umbrella and checked my SHSH and found
SHSH 3GS 4.1 (8B117)-1015307591157
SHSH 3GS 5.0.1 (9A-405)-101530791157

Is there any hope I can bring it back to the un-tethered state I had it in or am I done for? Thanks

I really don't know if I am wasting my time and your but I installed Tiny-Umbrella and checked my SHSH and found
SHSH 3GS 4.1 (8B117)-1015307591157
SHSH 3GS 5.0.1 (9A-405)-101530791157

Is there any hope I can bring it back to the un-tethered state I had it in or am I done for? Thanks
While it's always good to have SHSHs saved for all iOS versions... there currently isn't a way to utilize them in the downgrading process. Sorry... :-(