What's new

Memory

rdub

Reaction score
Ok I'm probably going to get laughed at for asking this, but is there such thing as an external memory device for the iPhone 4, something similar to the external battery case?

rdub said:
Ok I'm probably going to get laughed at for asking this, but is there such thing as an external memory device for the iPhone 4, something similar to the external battery case?

not that i know of as in a direct plug in unit to date, lack of expansion port (and the mini sim grrrrrrrh!) possibly the biggest annoyance.

but you can use a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive and remote access, which is what i do :).

btw, by joining a forum your simply admitting just like me you don't know everything, but you are happy to share what you do know - hopefully, so world the keeps keeps rotating as knowledge is distributed :)

it's the one's that don't who are the real fools ;).

Would you mind terribly explaining theNAS? How does it work etc. I really just want something to store pics & vids off my phone but still quickly accessible

rdub said:
Would you mind terribly explaining theNAS? How does it work etc. I really just want something to store pics & vids off my phone but still quickly accessible

Just think of it as having a private web site, I bought a Seagate 3tb NAS from Maplins, it simply plugs into a port in your router with supplied cable.

Software supplied allows you to set up both local and remote access protected by password, to your files from your iphone, ipad, android or PC's that are on the network.

If you have a smart Tv it will also access the NAS, allowing you to show video's, pictures, holiday movies, pdf's and so on.

I use a free backup program that automatically backs up our 3 PC's, my wife and my phones, as i run a business this is a vital element, and i can remotely backup my grandkids homework.

For what you want you could also get a cheaper external USB drive, attach to a PC. but that pc would have to be left on for when needed for file access.

The priblem with icloud is you will need an applw sevice ti revover your data

No just a iTunes account. I just use it for the first time... Took 2 minutes to set up and click back ip

Last edited:
So if I back it up to iCloud I can delete the pics off my phone and not loose them?

So if I back it up to iCloud I can delete the pics off my phone and not loose them?

No. In fact, your photo stream can only hold 1000 pictures or 30 days of photos. IE they will roll out over time as you add pictures.

iCloud is better described as an online mirror of your phones data. As such, as you add, change and delete items, they affect the iCloud data.

Exactly, I want something that I can store off the phone but still quickly accessible to the phone

Exactly, I want something that I can store off the phone but still quickly accessible to the phone

Then use DropBox, SkyDrive or Box. That is if you trust someone to keep your personal data private while it is stored in a server that you have no control over. Otherwise, your only option is to create your own application and server to meet your needs. Rough guess, you are looking at about $60 a month to maintain it.

Thank you, I will check those out and weight the options!

rdub said:
Thank you, I will check those out and weight the options!

If you just want to store files, videos, whatever all you need to do is jailbreak and install i-FunBox on your PC or Mac.

I store entire programs on phone. You cannot use the programs, but you can still watch videos, view pictures and later to music right on our phones as long as you have iFile installed.

I have dragged a video clip from my desktop to my phones file system just so I could show a friends later. Just open iFile and go to the video file, tap it and tap the appropriate button to make it play. However you do have to change the extension to .mp4 or .mov. Which is no big deal

Only downside to this way of storing data on your phone is if you wish to transfer files from your phone to a Friends or someone else's computer, they must first download i-FunBox on there computer to access the files on your device.

I have been using my phone as a USB flash drive since the day I got it.lol.

That sounds great except I rarely get a chance to get to a pc