What's new

ThatTechyGuy

iPhoneForums News/Reviews
Reaction score
koogeek-lightbulb.jpg

Today we had some time to check out a new cool Smart Lightbulb that was sent to us from KooGeek.

This smart lightbulb supports Apple’s HomeKit, so you can use your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, to help bring the lights you use everyday into Apple’s consumer friendly ecosystem. However, it does require that your iPhone runs iOS 8.1 or later. You can simply open the app on your iDevice, and control your lights directly from it! You can even change the color of the light depending on the mood that you are in! There is also a dimmer setting in the app to allow you to control the brightness of the bulb. The bulb is rated at 500 lumens, which is certainly near the top of the brightest smart light bulbs.

Koogeek claims that the lightbulb has a life of about 25,000 hours, which equates to around 22 years based on 3 hours of use per day. Given on where and how the bulb is being used, this number will fluctuate, but if the lightbulb holds up, I’d say it’s a great value for the price. The price you ask? Yeah, this bad boy will set you back about $37USD, however it certainly seems to offer great features.

Here's a link where you can grab one from Amazon: Koogeek WiFi Smart LED Light Bulb E26, 60W Equivalent, Dimmable, 16000K Colors, Timers, Siri, Works with Apple HomeKit, 2700-6000K, on 2.4Ghz Network - - Amazon.com

After unboxing the device, I was immediately impressed by how sturdy it is. The build quality is excellent. When I grabbed my lamp, it fit perfectly in it. I turned it on, and I was stunned by its brightness.

The setup was super simple. All you have to do is download the koogeek app, hit the “plus” button, and wait for the lightbulb to show up. Then you type in the code that is inside the box, or on the lightbulb, and you can start controlling it immediately! Apple Homekit automatically stores the lightbulb’s data for you, so you don’t have to program the bulb into your phone twice. I can use Siri to control the lightbulb on every device except my MacBook. I personally find using Siri on the Apple Watch to turn on and off lights one of the neatest features.

You can use the app, or Siri to control the brightness, color, and power of the bulb. You can also use the Homekit to setup certain settings for the time of day, or activity. For example, I can make the lightbulb dim when I tell Siri, “It’s movie time”! In order to control the lightbulb away from home, you have to setup an iPad, or Apple TV 4th generation to use as a hub.

All in all, Koogeek did everything right with this lightbulb. Thanks to Koogeek again for sending us the smart lightbulb!

Here is the Youtube video as promised:

Last edited: