What's new

Massive iOS Ransomware Scam Hits the U.S. – Time to Back Up Your iPhone & iPad

iPhone News

Reaction score
Here’s a quick warning for iOS users. It’s probably a good idea to immediately take the time to backup your iPhone or iPad data. Apparently, there has been a major security breach on iOS in the United States. A massive malware scam attempts to extort money from iPhone owners by*exploiting the Find My iPhone feature […]

Read more...

So these hackers are now targeting US residents? The best way to protect yourself is to set up two-step authentication in your iCloud account.

Another good thing to do is to set an unlock code. This will stop someone from setting one if they happen to gain access to your iCloud account.

Apple has confirmed a breach of iCloud security was not the reason iPhone and iPad users had devices locked and held to ransom.

Following multiple reports earlier this week from iPhone, iPad and Mac users in Australia, New Zealand and even the UK that devices connected to their iCloud account were being locked, Apple has finally acknowledged the issue but denied it was the result of a breach of iCloud security.

However the company has urged users who have been affected to change their Apple ID password whenever they can.

Personally if you want my opinion this is related to ebay and pay pal breach that occurred last week. Unfortunately many users have same user names and passwords on multiple sites. I could be wrong but it makes sense when one thinks about it. This was an isolated attack in Australia nothing huge as stated in the media. If you are concerned then change your user names and password as well as your 4 digit code if using iOS 7.

Personally if you want my opinion this is related to ebay and pay pal breach that occurred last week. Unfortunately many users have same user names and passwords on multiple sites. I could be wrong but it makes sense when one thinks about it. This was an isolated attack in Australia nothing huge as stated in the media. If you are concerned then change your user names and password as well as your 4 digit code if using iOS 7.
This makes sense to me too Colin, It would be interesting to find out if there is a connection.

I never use the same password for different websites. I have friends who use the same password for everything because it's convenient. I'm beginning to believe that my way was the best method after all.

I never use the same password for different websites. I have friends who use the same password for everything because it's convenient. I'm beginning to believe that my way was the best method after all.
You're right Ard, It's folly to use the same password for everything, It is a pain having to use different ones but it's sensible.

What do you folks think of password manager apps? They seem great on the surface, but suppose an unscrupulous programmer designed it to give him/her access to all your information? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think it's pretty related.

What do you folks think of password manager apps? They seem great on the surface, but suppose an unscrupulous programmer designed it to give him/her access to all your information? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think it's pretty related.

This is exactly why I leave off the first or last character or two on each password that I enter into a password manager. Even if the developer were to get my list, he would be out of luck unless he knew my methods :)

You asked the question so here is my answer.... I use onesafe password app as it is fully secured and easy to use. I manage all my online links and passwords plus private stuff like iTunes with 4 iTunes accounts. I personally believe in using products like this as they offer security and peace of mind. Just for the record I change my iTunes account passwords every month. Passwords must be complicated for example apple require upper case plus letters and numbers. My experience after some 35 years in IT is most user don't care and use simple passwords on devices and in some cases their phone numbers. We live in a real world not artificial world so make sure one uses different passwords for all access and change the passwords monthly. By all means invest in a password app to make life easier. And as as mentioned above use onesafe or similar.

I use 1Password. But all I store there are passwords for social media, games, forums and other unimportant stuff that uses log in. Important log in info, such as for banking, I keep in a safe file cabinet off of devices. Remember file cabinets? I have all that memorized anyway.