What's new

Massive Data Use Problem

sittingshooter

Reaction score
So, on average I use less than a GB per month. Suddenly today, I get a text message saying I am at 50% usage only 5 days into the new cycle. About 2 hours later I get a 75% usage text. I have done nothing different than normal. I called Verizon, and they said the only red flag the see, is a half gig download at 3:30 am this morning. I was asleep and my phone was plugged in and charging. Verizon asked me if I have any kids that may have used my phone during the night. I do have a son that could have, but before I confront him, I was wondering if there is any way any apps etc could have caused this while it was plugged in and charging/ not being used? Help!

Can't help much without more info, but a question: do you "close out" your apps before bedtime, or whenever you're not going to use them for a while? That would help. Also, check whether your "push notifications" are set to ON. Turn them off. Do you have wi-fi in your home? If so, then you shouldn't have a cellular drain. Finally, turn off all cellular data at night, or when you're not using the phone for a while. You can still get phone calls ......

I also had the same text 2 days into my monthly plan. I normally use about 700mb a month but got the 50% usage text (1GB!) after 2 days. What's happening?!? My phone is on wifi at home and is off all night. I'm not a heavy user (obviously since I only have used about 700mb per month for the last few months) so something has changed somewhere/somehow. Could this be a Verizon issue? Is there a way to see on the phone what app/s use what data?

I would suggest that, since sittingshooter and mrbeal are showing the same symptoms, those two get together and compare apps that they've installed. It sounds like there may be a common app/tweak involved here.

aplees said:
Just a thought but could it be Backing up your phone to icloud.

I can't imagine backups using that much data that quickly.

Check your phone log with ifile app and see if you can tell what data was used by what program.

The same thing happened to me ended up with a 1000$ dollar phone bill. Called my provider and they wanted to give me some Bs about how its my fault.. Told them to cut the line and right after that they took the charges off.. Went in to the apple store the next day got a new one cause supposedly something was wrong with my phone..