What's new

Make Any iBook Into An Audiobook For Free On iPhone, iPod Touch, & iPad

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score

The other day I was reading an iBook and wondered if there was an easier way to do this. I know you can download audiobooks and have books read to you through specific applications but how about one that just requires and iPhone, iPod touch, or an iPad and is free? Well you basically have an audiobook or auto-reader feature within the VoiceOver setting.

By enabling Triple-Click home to turn on VoiceOver or Ask To Turn On VoiceOver, you can easily access an automated reader. Open up an iBook or any text on your iDevice and turn VoiceOver on. Afterwards, take two fingers, tap on one of the lines of text and swipe down. It might take you a few tries and probably not the best gesture for Apple to choose, but hey, it's all we've got. Once VoiceOver starts reading to you more than one line at a time you know you've got it down. This feature will also turn pages for you so there's no need to have your device out.

The automated reading is pretty fast and understandable, though it did take a few pages for me to catch on. This is great for slow readers or people who just want to listen to their book on audio. If you have a big reading project due with a ton of pages to read, also a perfect tool. Very satisfied with finding this feature, as a slow reader, it helps greatly.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I tried this and didn't like it. I'll stick to reading my books myself. We're headed for Wall-E's world.

I have found that the easiest way to use this is to adjust the reading speed in the settings to a little slower speed, for me at least. Also, I set it to triple tap turns on/off VoiceOver. Then I opened the PDF file in iBooks and triple tapped the button to turn on VoiceOver. It started reading buttons and such then I just tapped the screen once and it started reading the beginning of the page. Two finger tap then paused or unpaused the reading. I didn't have to do the two finger sweep method at all. Hope this helps someone. The slower voice really made a big difference to me though.

The title is supposed to be reading speed and starting read back...

Last edited:
Awesome! Great for night time listening when I get tired of listening to night time talk radio. Thanks! You have changed my life!

Hotdice said:
Awesome! Great for night time listening when I get tired of listening to night time talk radio. Thanks! You have changed my life!

Actually this did not work well at all. It just kept telling me what commands I was doing but would not read the book.

Finally got it to work. Now the Steve jobs biography will be done by weeks end