What's new

Lost iphone ?

keeper123

Reaction score
If i was to buy a lost/stolen iphone what are the chances of it getting blocked ?
If so can you avoid this process it happening so you can keep it as a normal phone.

Thanks

If I were you, I'd run, not walk, away from the idea of buying a lost or stolen phone. The odds will be very high that the original owner has reported the loss or theft to his/her carrier. You won't be able to use the phone if the carrier locks it.

Marilyn

Most likely it'll have an IMEI block from the carrier. You'd need a factory backdoor to put it back on the white list

Quite honestly I feel offended that you came in here and asked this question. How would you feel if you shelled out a few hundred dollars on a phone and lose it? Bet you wouldn't be eager at all to have someone attempt to activate it for you.

Karma is going to kick you in the tail.

scifan57 said:
Knowingly keeping and using a stolen phone is not right, regardless of how it was obtained.

+1.... iPF.net does not condone the actions mentioned above. If you are conducting business w/ what you know to be a lost and/or stolen iDevice... do so at your own risk. Because.... well.... it's ILLEGAL!!

willerz2 said:
Most likely it'll have an IMEI block from the carrier. You'd need a factory backdoor to put it back on the white list

willerz2.... do you think it's ok to use "backdoor" unlocks on a phone that's possibly lost and/or stolen?!?

Well no I'm just saying that's the way to do it. But if you're going to do it, you might as well chip a bit more to get a new one since that method is illegal, unstable, there are many scammers out there since they normally do it through eBay trades. It's not a cheap process either. Average is 150 PER phone.

But I agree with Marilyn completely. If its stolen or lost, it's just messed up to buy it and profit the person selling...

Quite honestly I feel offended that you came in here and asked this question. How would you feel if you shelled out a few hundred dollars on a phone and lose it? Bet you wouldn't be eager at all to have someone attempt to activate it for you.

Karma is going to kick you in the tail.

Dude your right I'd be going mad if I lost my phone! But the reason why i asked was because I'm curious, Reason being because my friend found an iphone4 in a taxi and gave it to he girlfriend and that was 2months ago it's still going strong, then the other day another friend found an ip4 & sold it for like £50.

So yeah that's why i was asking how this all works after seeing that.

Agree.
Just something related, this reminds me of a thread I saw in iPad forum, it is asking the chance of getting lost iPad (if passcode lock is on), I very appreciate one idea is setting an image with contact info as your lock screen to increase the chance to get your iPad back. One who loses his/her iPhone must be crazy. By the way, I would run away too.

Dude your right I'd be going mad if I lost my phone! But the reason why i asked was because I'm curious, Reason being because my friend found an iphone4 in a taxi and gave it to he girlfriend and that was 2months ago it's still going strong, then the other day another friend found an ip4 & sold it for like £50.

I'm sorry I just don't accept that. If the phone is not locked look inside to see whose it is and GET IT BACK TO THEM! If it is locked look return it to the closest carrier IE At&T , Verizon etc.
Your Friends MAKE ME SICK!

keeper123 said:

Knowingly buying and/or keeping property that doesn't belong to you is nothing less than possession of stolen property.Don't buy any such phone and don't expect any help if you do buy it and have any problems.

Last edited:

i find it very odd that two of your friends "found" iPhones.....i think you need to be a little wiser in the choice of your friends.

i find it very odd that two of your friends "found" iPhones.....i think you need to be a little wiser in the choice of your friends.

Yeah in a back of a taxi and then few days later another friend found 1 on the wall next to the bus stop where the person left it.
I know strange.