What's new

Lost hd & all iphone contacts etc.

bjac

Reaction score
Hi. I have a fairly new iphone and loaded it up with all my contacts and a few new apps and pics. Shortly after installing itunes on my laptop I lost the hard drive before I backed everything up to another storage area.
Is there any way to save the contacts and apps before I re-install itunes on the new HD. I did a backup to iCloud but I am running Win7 and do not have outlook to store my contacts.
Thanks
Bill

You issue is not clear, if your concern is about your contacts and your apps only, then there is no need to worry since you have backup your contacts to iCloud. As for your apps, you can easily download them again via iTunes or your iPhone apps store.

You issue is not clear, if your concern is about your contacts and your apps only, then there is no need to worry since you have backup your contacts to iCloud. As for your apps, you can easily download them again via iTunes or your iPhone apps store.

Sorry, fairly new to this....yes my concern is only my contacts and apps. My understanding was that once I sync to the new itunes installation I would lose everything on the phone. Then I can certainly download the apps again, but will the contacts stored on iCloud simply download on to the phone immediately or is there something special you have to do?
Thanks again
Bill

when you connect your iPhone to a new iTunes for the very first time, iTunes will tell you that it will erase the content of the iPhone and sync into the iPhone the contents in iTunes. Your SMS, contacts, calendars, emails, apps, settings, photos and videos taken with the iPhone are not part of that rule of iTunes and so will not be erase from your iPhone by iTunes when you click OK on the erasing notification. Only your multimedia (music, photos and videos synced into the phone via another computer iTunes) will get lost.
However it's very good that you have sync your contact to iCloud, better safe than sorry. So after to link your iPhone to your new iTunes, just login back your iCloud account on your iPhone and turn on contacts. Your phone will then download all your iCloud contacts into your contact app in your iPhone. You will be able to keep those contacts permanently into your phone if you want, back them up with iTunes etc...

when you connect your iPhone to a new iTunes for the very first time, iTunes will tell you that it will erase the content of the iPhone and sync into the iPhone the contents in iTunes. Your SMS, contacts, calendars, emails, apps, settings, photos and videos taken with the iPhone are not part of that rule of iTunes and so will not be erase from your iPhone by iTunes when you click OK on the erasing notification. Only your multimedia (music, photos and videos synced into the phone via another computer iTunes) will get lost.
However it's very good that you have sync your contact to iCloud, better safe than sorry. So after to link your iPhone to your new iTunes, just login back your iCloud account on your iPhone and turn on contacts. Your phone will then download all your iCloud contacts into your contact app in your iPhone. You will be able to keep those contacts permanently into your phone if you want, back them up with iTunes etc...

Ok, I'll try that.
Thanks for your help!
Bill