What's new

Lost 1/2 of my Contacts

JoeFromSD

Reaction score
Are my contacts backed up anywhere? I went in to an apple store yesterday to get help deleting an email account. I noticed today that 1/2 my Contacts are gone! Are they backed up anywhere or is there another solution?
iphone SE

I hope someone can advise me please, need to get those Contacts back ASAP.

My thoughts are.
Was this a gmail account they helped you to delete on your phone.
About the same happened on my work phone when I deleted gmail so I reinstalled it and synced contacts.
Hope this can help you.

Hhmmm, I have gmail on my home screen, but it was also in the Mail app which is also on home screen. I had them delete it from the Mail app, and still see gmail on the screen. I might just might try what you suggest but hopefully someone else will chime in here!

thanks for the suggestion Camabe!

Sounds like when the app was deleted it also deleted the contacts saved to the app. Camabe216 seems to have found the answer.

OK not sure how to do that folka. I delete gmail from my phone, then download it again, but how do I sync everything? I hope it'll be obvious once I install it again.

Or this:
How to sync Google contacts with iCloud
  1. Open any browser and head to your Google Contacts > Select the Contacts you want to sync with iCloud > Click on the More button > then choose Export.
  2. Visit iCloud.com and log in with your iCloud account > Click Contacts icon.

I never backed up to the could using itunes, does that matter?

so I'm probably out of luck?? Not having a backup?

It doesn’t matter. A backup is different.
Syncing means the contacts are forwarded to other devices using the same account automatically. When you add a new contact or remove one of those you’ve saved, this will also happen on all other devices using the same account, without backup.

It looks like you’ve set up your Gmail account for the built in (Apple’s) Mail app, which means the contacts connected to your Gmail account will appear on your iPhone in the built in app. As soon as you remove the Gmail app in Settings - Mail - Accounts, these contacts will also disappear in your contact list.
We‘re suggesting to either export the contacts from this Gmail account to iCloud, or to keep the Gmail account installed in your settings, and enable Contacts only. That way, the built in Mail app doesn‘t show your Gmail account, but the contacts are still in your list.

I don't have any other devices besides my desktop. Where can I check to see what contacts are in Gmail?

Just checked gmail in my desktop Gmail, and phone Gmail app and don't see any contacts?

You can’t see Gmail contacts on the desktop either?

The Gmail app on your iPhone doesn’t show contacts. It‘s supposed to display your emails. You’d need your contacts in the Contacts or Phone app.

I DO see the Contacts in desktop gmial, I never looked for them before!

I've kind of edited the contacts on my phone in the last few weeks, I should prob delete them all before syncing?

thanks for hanging in here with me folks!

I f you delete them they won’t be there to sync. That is how all this started. Maybe just follow the instructions several have posted for you to follow.