What's new

Lock screen numbers don’t work

Mels654

Reaction score
hi can anyone help. I had my iPhone 7 screen replaced last week as it was cracked. Now a week later I can’t log on as my lock screen number pad won’t work. Only numbers 3, 6 and 9 work and I can’t slide to unlock or answer calls. Went back to shop who repaired, they say there is now a crack inside the screen and the phone must have been dropped causing this. Therefore this is why screen not working. I’ve tried restarting to reset but no good. Any help would be great thank you.

Was the repair done at an authorized Apple repair centre?
If so, you could take it in for a test at an Apple Store Genius Bar. They could run a full diagnostic to determine the exact cause of the problem.
BTW, as long as the touchscreen is largely unresponsive you won’t be able to get past the password without a DFU restore, which will erase everything on the iPhone, including the password.
DFU Mode - The iPhone Wiki

Was the repair done at an authorized Apple repair centre?
If so, you could take it in for a test at an Apple Store Genius Bar. They could run a full diagnostic to determine the exact cause of the problem.
BTW, as long as the touchscreen is largely unresponsive you won’t be able to get past the password without a DFU restore, which will erase everything on the iPhone, including the password.
DFU Mode - The iPhone Wiki
Thanks for your reply. I took to a local phone repair shop so not Apple I’m afraid. If I do a DFU restore do you think that would help as the guy in the shop (who I am now dubious to trust) says it’s because of the slight hair line crack.

Thanks for your reply. I took to a local phone repair shop so not Apple I’m afraid. If I do a DFU restore do you think that would help as the guy in the shop (who I am now dubious to trust) says it’s because of the slight hair line crack.
A DFU restore would erase the iPhone, including the password, and you would lose all data on the phone unless you have a recent backup. The problem is that if the touchscreen is not functioning properly because of the crack it will affect the operation of the iPhone as a whole. A DFU restore would not fix a non functional touchscreen.

A DFU restore would erase the iPhone, including the password, and you would lose all data on the phone unless you have a recent backup. The problem is that if the touchscreen is not functioning properly because of the crack it will affect the operation of the iPhone as a whole. A DFU restore would not fix a non functional touchscreen.
Ok thank you for your help. I’ll pop to the Apple store tomorrow.