What's new

Lock screen draining battery?

Old Goat Ninja

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, new guy here. New to forum, not iPhone and iPad.

My questions is about sudden battery drain. It was happening on my iPhone 6 Plus now and then too, so I thought my battery was on its way out, so I bought an iPhone 7 plus 128G phone. Now all of the sudden this phone did it today.

Last night I charged my phone to 100%. Now, just a couple hours into my day, I'm down to 37%. HOW?! Can the cold affect the battery life? If it's cold outside, it's cold where I work. No heaters in here.

I Googled some things, that brought me to this forum, so I checked my battery usage. It shows in last 13 hours (8 of them I was sleeping), my phone used 70% of it's power on the home and lock screen? How is that even possible?

Anyways, I'm at a total loss. I have no idea how I'm losing most of my phones juice while I am asleep.

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,259
Welcome to iPhoneForums!

Just to make sure this is not the culprit:
In Settings - Display & Brightness - Auto-Lock: make sure you didn't select "Never".

Thanks, just to be sure, I checked those settings. Nope, it's set to 5 minutes. Thanks for the reply though.

You can also go to Settings>Battery to see what percentage of your battery power is being used by various apps and processes. Some apps are notorious for how much battery power they can use while running in the background.

Yeah, I found that on this forum, but couldn't find anything directly to my Home/Lock screen draining my battery. According to Settings>Battery, my home/lock screen used 70% of my battery since last night.

Temperature can have an influence on battery life, but that should be temporary, as Apple states:
Batteries - Maximizing Performance
As soon as the temperature of your iPhone's battery is back to normal, it's performance should also return to normal.

Do you get many notifications to the lock screen? If so, disable a few of these and see if it helps.

I do get notifications on my homescreen, but when I woke up this morning there weren't any. I'm hoping it was a freak thing and maybe the screen got left on all night or something. I place my phone screen down so midnight messages don't wake me up.

I do get notifications on my homescreen, but when I woke up this morning there weren't any. I'm hoping it was a freak thing and maybe the screen got left on all night or something. I place my phone screen down so midnight messages don't wake me up.
Turn on Do No Disturb will keep messages from coming in. Check your Facebook settings, they are notorious and a reason I don't use the app on my iPhone but use the website instead.

Check each individual app for notifications type and any you don't need or want turn them off.

Have you by any chance got Siri enabled when in locked screen mode? This can use up battery power.

Last edited:
No, I don't use Siri.

It wasn't any apps that drained my battery. According to usage, my home/lock screen drained it.

I'm starting to think it was the cold though. Yesterday was really cold at work, and my iPhone 6 plus used to suddenly lose it's charge in the cold too.

It might if it is set up for Raise to Wake. If so then as you carry it around in your pocket, hand or purse it may be lighting up the lock screen all day long.

Check in settings display & brightness