What's new

Location / traffic notifications missing since upgrading to 6S

jntdroid

Reaction score
We just recently upgraded to the 6S. Before that I had a 5S and my wife a 5. On both of our prior devices, and since upgrading to iOS 9 (I think this was a 9 feature?), we would get notifications any time we left somewhere... for example:
  • When I left my office, a notification would show up in a banner showing an estimated time to home.
  • A less repetitive example... If we left the mall after a movie at a random time, it would also show the same notification.
  • In the morning when I left I would get the same notification showing me time to work.
Etc... you get the point.

I've ensured all location services are enabled, and they have been since we upgraded which was on Dec 1, about 6 weeks ago. So the new phones have had a chance to see our habits.

I loved that feature... I never did anything, it just enabled on its own and it was handy to say the least. I know it can be mimicked with apps like ETA, but I can't figure out why those stopped. Any help is appreciated!

Yeah I don't believe it's an issue with being on the 6S specifically, I just wanted to make sure the full context was in my question.

Yeah, all are on for Maps, and it's set to Banners.

It also has a ton of history showing me at home, work, etc, over the past 6 weeks. I really think I've covered all the settings, it's simply not doing it for whatever reason.

I would toggle the appropriate settings off, reboot, and then turn them back on again. Gl

Thanks, will give it a shot and report back if it works.

I said I'd report back if it works, but figured I'd report back that it's still not... ;)

Can't seem to figure this one out!

Well, given the warranty that you have, I would say it's time to call or visit Apple.

It appears to be directly related to the traffic conditions widget, which also shows nothing for both of us, and used to. We've switched to a couple of used iPhone 5S's just to test and it's the same, so it's not the phones.

So a quick update. I change carriers a lot to test different things. When this problem first came up, we were on Verizon after having moved from Cricket. Recently, we made the switch from Verizon back to Cricket and AT&T and then one line back again to Verizon (long story). Using the exact same phones (my 5S and 6S), the traffic notifications came back - but it wasn't until after we had switched away from Verizon onto AT&T/Cricket. They popped up religiously just like I described in the OP while we were with AT&T/Cricket (two lines, one on AT&T, one on Cricket, for clarification).

Guess what happened on my one line that moved back to Verizon - the notifications stopped. Our other lines (the Cricket/AT&T ones) continue to receive them, but our Verizon line stopped, no matter which phone I put the sim in.

It seems clear to me now the problem is Verizon. The only conclusion I can come to is that Verizon has some sort of location flag on the back-end that prevents this from working properly. I know on Android devices there is a Verizon specific location app, so it wouldn't surprise me if Verizon has some sort of proprietary location thing going on (for lack of a more official term). Anyway, just FYI - I know that all seems weird, but there was clear delineation in the testing, and all else was equal.

I don't have Verizon but thought Verizon required more than a simple swap of sims, some kind of code typed in like 228 or something. But it's been years since I heard about Verizon set and am probably outdated. Glad you have it working as you want.