What's new

Location Tracking

CharlieinCT

Reaction score
Question... How does one's location show up in the browser history on another phone as a set of lat/lon coordinates in Google Maps? Screen shot attached.It's not Find My Phone and I'm not aware of having shared my location. Thanks

IMG_2714.PNG

So these locations in the screenshot were taken from someone else’s phone?? If not, and this is screenshot of your phone, go to Privacy, then Location Services and turn off anything you don’t want to show your location. There are a few ways this can happen, so make sure to take your time and check off anything that might show your location to others or your Apps. Here is a screenshot of the place to go.
IMG_3398.JPG
IMG_3399.JPG

You’ll see that Safari is in this setting so it may need to be turned off as all well as all other apps that may use your location. Hope this helps and I am making sense. Good day.

So these locations in the screenshot were taken from someone else’s phone?? If not, and this is screenshot of your phone, go to Privacy, then Location Services and turn off anything you don’t want to show your location. There are a few ways this can happen, so make sure to take your time and check off anything that might show your location to others or your Apps. Here is a screenshot of the place to go.
View attachment 37316View attachment 37317
You’ll see that Safari is in this setting so it may need to be turned off as all well as all other apps that may use your location. Hope this helps and I am making sense. Good day.
Thanks for the follow up but the screen shot was not from my phone. So the question is how does my location get on to another person's phone in this form (lat/lon coordinates in Google Map)?

Probably a social networking app that you have location services turned on for. Look through your app list under privacy - location services and see which are turned on.

Probably a social networking app that you have location services turned on for. Look through your app list under privacy - location services and see which are turned on.
Thanks but even if through a social networking app, wouldn't my location (if shared) show only in that app? Doesn't the fact that it's showing if a browser window linking to Google Maps mean the location is being shared via a Google account? But I don't log on to Google from my phone though location services for Google Maps is checked "while using". But I wasn't using. I use Apples Maps. And my Google Maps app shows no "Your Places" and under "Your Timeline" it says "No visited places". So the question remains, how's the other phone picking up my location and displaying it a set of coordinates?

Have you shared your location with your friend in Contacts?