What's new

Listening to music through my iPhone in the car

Tricon7

Reaction score
I'm pretty ignorant of how to use the iPhone in one's car to listen to music and such. What would I need to accomplish this? I'd like to do this, as I have an unlimited data plan and wouldn't have to worry about using too much data.

I am assuming your talking about streaming music to your phone (as opposed to just listening to your iPod library in the Music.app).

Well.........First thing is first.

Do you already have a CD player or radio in in your car with an Aux/In plug?

Or does it have a dock connector?

Need to know what kind of plugs you have on your car's stereo for me to help you out here.

Buddy my phone is all ready jailbreak now what I want to do say plz

lalunyc said:
Buddy my phone is all ready jailbreak now what I want to do say plz

I asked you what kind of plugs you have in your car stereo. I didn't say anything about jailbreaking.lol.

Tho jailbreaking can make listening to music in the car a breeze.

Last edited:
I am assuming your talking about streaming music to your phone (as opposed to just listening to your iPod library in the Music.app).

Well.........First thing is first.

Do you already have a CD player or radio in in your car with an Aux/In plug?

Or does it have a dock connector?

Need to know what kind of plugs you have on your car's stereo for me to help you out here.

My car stereo is pretty ancient. I have a console between my front seats, and the lid flips up and I pull out a case that holds six CDs. I insert them, then put the case back into the dock below. I control the tunes from my stereo on the dashboard. I don't think it has any inputs for plugs that I can see. I think this stereo came with the vehicle - it's a Ford Explorer SUV, 1997.

Last edited:
Tricon7 said:
My car stereo is pretty ancient. I have a console between my front seats, and the lid flips up and I pull out a case that holds six CDs. I insert them, then put the case back into the dock below. I control the tunes from my stereo on the dashboard. I don't think it has any inputs for plugs that I can see. I think this stereo came with the vehicle - it's a Ford Explorer SUV, 1997.

Then you would probably have to get a stereo with an Auxiliary in/out.

Or.....if you have a cassette player...you could just but a cassette tape with a cord on it that plugs into your phones headphone jack.

Also...on a side note:

I would download and install Music Control Pro from Cydia. Just perfect for tue car. I would watch the video so ya know how to use it. I jut bought (skipping the free trial) and I love it...and is perfect for when I'm driving.

I thought Cydia was only for jailbroken iPhones?

But, yeah, I'm probably going to have to get a new stereo. I'd hate to, as my vehicle has over 232,000 miles on it and is 15 years old.

since you dont have any aux inputs your best and simplest solution would be to go with a FM modulator like the Griffin iTrip. It plugs into your phone and broadcasts a radio station that you can pick up using your cars radio. You will sacrafice a little bit of audio quality going this way but its not bad.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/itrip

t
here are cheaper FM Modulators from most electronics retailers, (radio shack, bestbuy, walmart, target..ETC) i just used the iTrip as an example.

Tricon7 said:
I thought Cydia was only for jailbroken iPhones?

But, yeah, I'm probably going to have to get a new stereo. I'd hate to, as my vehicle has over 232,000 miles on it and is 15 years old.

You said you already jailbroken your phone. Did you not?

Garrett said:
since you dont have any aux inputs your best and simplest solution would be to go with a FM modulator like the Griffin iTrip. It plugs into your phone and broadcasts a radio station that you can pick up using your cars radio. You will sacrafice a little bit of audio quality going this way but its not bad.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/itrip

t
here are cheaper FM Modulators from most electronics retailers, (radio shack, bestbuy, walmart, target..ETC) i just used the iTrip as an example.

Hah. Forgot about that.lol. I even have one...tho I never use it.lol. Not since I got a new stereo.

Fm transmitter is the way to go with your " ancient" stereo.. Lol
It works great and u can stream with it as well as play from your library..

Fm transmitter is the way to go with your " ancient" stereo.. Lol
It works great and u can stream with it as well as play from your library..

And just for clarification, I could also listen to Pandora from my iPhone over an FM transmitter? And does it have to "connect" to my existing stereo through a cassette player/deck? Or can they also connect via, say, a cigarette lighter?