What's new

Limiting number of multi tasking apps

sf29

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to limit the number of multi tasking apps that come up at the bottom of the iPhone when you double- click between apps?
I have found that unless you remove them manually they just keep adding and can be a drain on your battery

There is no way to limit the number of open apps. It just grows and tends to slow the phone down.

Ok, I really need to sit down a write a white paper on this subject. So much misconception and bad information out there on this.

1) That display DOES NOT represent the applications in memory or actually running.
2) 95% of the apps for the iPhone DO NOT run in background.
3) Unless an app SPECIFICALLY hooks to certain API calls it CAN NOT run in background.

That display only represents the last apps you accessed and the order that you accessed them. IF they are still in memory, that is because iOS hasn't decided to roll them out of memory in favor of another application.

Now here is where the confusion factor is coming from. Some apps have VERY POOR "on pause" or "unload" code. The coding error can cause the app to not UNLOAD from memory properly which gives iOS some grief. iOS hasn't been tweeked enough in my opinion to handle these "bad egg" programs. Which is why some people suggest, including Apple tech support (you would think they would ask their programmers to fix this), to hold down an app and hit the X to force it to unload.

I'm using mulitifl0w and I can get up to ten apps running on a 3GS and it don't slow down to bad . It may just be the way my phone is though .

Yes, it essentially becomes a quick launch bar.
If you run an app, then put it to the background, and then don't do anything else on your phone then more than likely when you return it will resume the app where it left off. If you boot up a few other apps, or do other stuff with your phone then the chances are it will just re-boot the app from fresh as it would have been removed from memory because the currently running app gets priority for memory etc.

This is an Apple normal behavior.
I do have issues with apps that I can't fully close unless I go through multiple steps. Way too long. This is bad.
At least there should be a way to show all running apps in a full screen ... that way I don't have to swipe endlessly to pick a previously open app.
The same should be available to clear all old apps (I do not care if they are in background or not).
If anyone has ideas please share.

I am giving the 4s a chance, but at the moment it does not look good.

Yeah - periodically I double click and close them all out if the phone is just on standby. One night I forgot and I think my battery dropped 40% just sitting there in the dark. Takes a bit of discipline but beats frequent re-charges.

Or, once it's possible to jailbreak the 4s, get an app on cydia called "RemoveBackground" which (btw I'm really missing) does exactly this, with one click it closes all open apps.

I have about a dozen video surveillance camera's around the place and with a lot
of apps displayed at the bottom of my i-phone I can only look at 4 cams at the same
time. But when I close all those apps at the bottom of my phone I can view all
12 cams at same time.

My neighbor tried to run the same video app (after downloading) in his i-phone
and it wouldn't load at all. When I told him to close all those windows at the
bottom of his phone the video app ran perfectly. So I do think all those open
apps affects the operation my phone.

I have about a dozen video surveillance camera's around the place and with a lot
of apps displayed at the bottom of my i-phone I can only look at 4 cams at the same
time. But when I close all those apps at the bottom of my phone I can view all
12 cams at same time.

My neighbor tried to run the same video app (after downloading) in his i-phone
and it wouldn't load at all. When I told him to close all those windows at the
bottom of his phone the video app ran perfectly. So I do think all those open
apps affects the operation my phone.

Reboot the phone and you will get the same exact effect. The reason for this is very simple. The surveillance app isn't requesting all of the RAM of the iDevice. It is only requesting what is available. Hence if there are apps loaded in memory that have been used recently, even though they are asleep and taking no CPU time, they are still limiting the amount of free memory the application can see. If the developer used a different memory request, IE one that would cause everything but the OS to unload, then you wouldn't even notice this issue.

So this situation is an issue cause by the developer not on how iOS is written.

Reboot the phone and you will get the same exact effect. The reason for this is very simple. The surveillance app isn't requesting all of the RAM of the iDevice. It is only requesting what is available. Hence if there are apps loaded in memory that have been used recently, even though they are asleep and taking no CPU time, they are still limiting the amount of free memory the application can see. If the developer used a different memory request, IE one that would cause everything but the OS to unload, then you wouldn't even notice this issue.

So this situation is an issue cause by the developer not on how iOS is written.

When one talks about RAM I assume were talking about Random Access Memory. As oppose to ROM
Read Only Memory. When I load a program That program is written into RAM. What determines how much RAM is use for that program depends on how large or how small that program is.

e.i. The programs that are running at the bottom of my phone must be using up RAM because when I close those programs (freeing up RAM) my Surveillance program can load properly and use the amount of RAM it needs to run. No more but can be less depending on what programs are loaded into RAM already.

Re booting my phone would not give me the same affect. Because to reboot is time consuming. It would be quicker to just close apps than to reboot. For instance If some questionable caracter strolled past one camera with a mask on and I wanted to know where this person just went, I would loose them
if I reboot the phone.

To ask to developer to change the memory requirements of his/her program, isn't that like asking them to write a smaller program to accommodate apple? That's doesn't seam to be a valid request. Especially when I believe more RAM on my end would solve the problem.

It would be more practical to me to ask apple to tweak there own program giving end users the option to limit the amount of apps that stay open at one time.

When one talks about RAM I assume were talking about Random Access Memory. As oppose to ROM
Read Only Memory. When I load a program That program is written into RAM. What determines how much RAM is use for that program depends on how large or how small that program is.

That last sentence is 100% incorrect. A program that is 1 megabyte in size can use 1 gigabyte of RAM upon being launched/executed/loaded by the user. Any professional programmer can confirm that fact. They can also confirm that a 1 gigabyte program can use only 1 megabyte of RAM upon launching/execution/loading. It all depends on how the code is written.

Heads up, being doing this for 30 years and for the last 2 years have been a registered iOS developer. Know a thing or two on this subject matter.

e.i. The programs that are running at the bottom of my phone must be using up RAM because when I close those programs (freeing up RAM) my Surveillance program can load properly and use the amount of RAM it needs to run. No more but can be less depending on what programs are loaded into RAM already.

Your first sentence is 100% incorrect and a "myth" based on ignorance of the subject matter. Please read posts number 3 and 4 of this thread http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ythbusting-lets-separate-facts-fiction-40230/ to get an understanding of what is actually going on with iOS.

Re booting my phone would not give me the same affect. Because to reboot is time consuming. It would be quicker to just close apps than to reboot. For instance If some questionable caracter strolled past one camera with a mask on and I wanted to know where this person just went, I would loose them
if I reboot the phone.

You took my figurative statement way too literally. The statement was to convey that a reboot does in fact clear memory without having to "remove apps" from the recently used list. BTW, if you do read post #4 of http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ythbusting-lets-separate-facts-fiction-40230/ you will find out why I gave that option.

To ask to developer to change the memory requirements of his/her program, isn't that like asking them to write a smaller program to accommodate apple? That's doesn't seam to be a valid request. Especially when I believe more RAM on my end would solve the problem.

The developer has a choice when it comes to requesting memory in ANY operating system. They are:

1) Give the exact RAM size requested or fail.
2) Give any RAM size from a minimum size to the requested size.

The developer is most likely using option 2 or a variation of it. That isn't the fault of Apple, it is the fault of the developer.

It would be more practical to me to ask apple to tweak there own program giving end users the option to limit the amount of apps that stay open at one time.

Go read posts #3 and #4 of http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ythbusting-lets-separate-facts-fiction-40230/ and then if you are still unclear that Apple has already provided exactly that functionality, you can ask more questions on the subject.

“
Heads up, being doing this for 30 years and for the last 2 years have been a registered iOS developer. Know a thing or two on this subject matter.”

No wonder you are speaking up for apple....You work for them. I don't care what the other post say about myths. I don't believe it. You have thousands of customers complaining about this memory thing and all you so called IOS developers on this issue can say is that its the developers fault.

What ever happened to the customers always right. What are you saying everyone that is complaining is using apps that don't work properly because of the developers. Thats a snow job if I ever heard one.

How about this.....Heads up I paid $10 for that security software and hundreds of dollars for the phone the same people that sold me the phone sold me the software/app. Maybe apple should make their iOs developers do some work, earn their pay and make certain the apps that people are buying on their site is compatible with their phone!

What in the wide world of sports is going on here! You claim you been doing this for 30 years so you should know that it isn't hard to do what apple customers are asking! Why do yous continue to smile , point your finger in the other direction and blame everything that goes wrong on some one else. And then turn around and provide a whole bunch of technical gibberish as to why you are not the blame.

Here's another heads up! One day people is going to get tired of this foolishness and buy another phone and it wont be an apple.

No wonder you are speaking up for apple....You work for them. I don't care what the other post say about myths. I don't believe it. You have thousands of customers complaining about this memory thing and all you so called IOS developers on this issue can say is that its the developers fault.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Apple couldn't afford me even on their best day. BTW I know more about Android than I do iOS. Been a registered developer for Android for the last 3 years. Can pick apart either OS with no issues.

What ever happened to the customers always right. What are you saying everyone that is complaining is using apps that don't work properly because of the developers. Thats a snow job if I ever heard one.

Customers are not even close to always right. In fact customers are usually more wrong than right. That phrase was created back in a day when electronics didn't exist. Software wasn't even a glimmer in engineers or a sales force eyes. Today the customer isn't even remotely aware of how something works because they simply no longer care. To be blunt, you are speaking purely from a standpoint of ignorance.

How about this.....Heads up I paid $10 for that security software and hundreds of dollars for the phone the same people that sold me the phone sold me the software/app. Maybe apple should make their iOs developers do some work, earn their pay and make certain the apps that people are buying on their site is compatible with their phone!

That is exactly how things work today. There is a document that every iOS developer is required to read prior to submitting an application for review and final release to the app store. In this 85+ page document is a very strict set of requirements that must be met. One of those requirements is that an application must play nice with every other application. IE the developer is instructed that it is "best practice" not to hog all of the available RAM so that the OS doesn't have to unload all other applications from memory. Because doing so would cause an extra drain on battery life. That developer took that "best practice" to heart and implemented it. The developer, during submission, can ask for an exception from this "best practice" and they didn't. So who's fault is it when Apple provides the ability, the resources and the exceptions and the developer doesn't utilize it?

What in the wide world of sports is going on here! You claim you been doing this for 30 years so you should know that it isn't hard to do what apple customers are asking! Why do yous continue to smile , point your finger in the other direction and blame everything that goes wrong on some one else. And then turn around and provide a whole bunch of technical gibberish as to why you are not the blame.

Read the above answer again. And that technical gibberish are simply FACTS. Ones that can not be argued with. Just because you choose to argue with a fact doesn't change that the veracity of the information provided.

Here's another heads up! One day people is going to get tired of this foolishness and buy another phone and it wont be an apple.

Heads up. Android is the only other viable smart phone OS out there. And I am going to save you some time and trouble. Android works EXACTLY THE SAME WAY as iOS does because they are both *nix based OSes. The only difference is that Android uses a Dalvik Virtual Machine to run 90% plus of its applications, hence why they need a quad core CPU to do the same thing iOS does in a dual core CPU. Which means if the developer continues to use the "best practice" method for application design, the app will work EXACTLY THE SAME WAY on Android as it does on iOS.

Your only recourse is to email the developer and request they change the behavior of the app. If I was the developer, I would simply ignore your question or give you the following answer, if I was in a good mood.

"Dear Customer,
Thank you for your input, but at this time our application works properly within the confines of the memory, CPU and battery life expectation of the device you are using. To change the behavior of the application would cause the phone to quit working as you expect."

I am going to let that very last sentence sink in for a bit. In fact you really need to reread it. Seriously REREAD that very last sentence and ponder it for just a bit. Because now I am going to show you WHY you, as the customer, are DEAD WRONG due to your ignorance on the subject matter.

If an application was to request all available RAM and actually get a full LOCK on it, that means no other application would be able to load into memory until that application was exited by the user. So until YOU hit the home or standby button or the lock screen timeout was reached, no other application would be able to load into memory. Which means no application would be able to run to respond to any incoming events. That means NO phone calls, SMS, MMS, EMail, notifications and a host of other features that you EXPECT, no in your case DEMAND that the phone provide you at all times. Because that developer does use "best practice" programming techniques, the developer is insuring that their application doesn't cause your device to fail to work as expected.

You, the customer, was just proven wrong. This was done in a factual matter without malice. So much for your theory that the customer is always right.

I was talking to a friend of mine that is a programmer for Mxxxxsoft and explained to him my point of view on this issue and he said that I was right.....Are you going to call another fellow programmer ignorant too?

You know what bedazzles me is the fact yous are trying to tell us that the problem lies with the software/app developers when you have no idea or clue what programs we are talking about.

And I'm quite sure that all of us are not using the same programs that are not working properly.

So that also gives me the impression that you think we are all stupid! You sound like the guy that's telling me that he can fix my car for $39.95 and I haven't started or finished telling him what's wrong with the car in the first place.

Your telling us that's somethings wrong with a developers code that you haven't seen nor do you know what program we are talking about. The fact that your not asking any one “well what program are you trying to run when you have this problem” tells me some of you haven't learned anything in 30 years.

I never said I was a programmer I'm a retired Electrical Engineering Technologist who knows Technical (B) Gibberish (S) when he hears it! If I can remember correctly we were (30 or so yrs ago) using the Intel Z80, 8080, 8085, 385? & 485's CPU's I still have the instruction set for the Z80 on my book shelf, you see I've been around for along time too!

Back then company's cared about the consumer. Today I see you don't because you haven't asked not one question names of programs/apps that people are complaining about. All you do is make statements and dubious accusations about developers with absolutely no idea what programs your making these accusations about! What are uses techknowledgey Houdini's?

Well! I'm done with it. Continue doing what your doing which is obviously nothing! Your doing a fine job at that!