What's new

Lightning cable has me down..

Status
Not open for further replies.

musiclover77

Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with lightning cables? I have had three of them stop working on me in the last 5 months. I just bought a more heavy duty model made by another company, but am wondering if I am the only one out there having these problems. At 15 bucks a piece i figured the would last more than 3 months, even with careful use.

I've been using the one that came with my iPhone 5 every day for almost a year with no problems whatsoever. I use the same cable for charging my iPad mini and iPad 4 as well, so this cable has seen some heavy duty use.

2nd cable. First cable didn't last for a month even with careful use.

I received my phone in May, and bought two extra. 1 for the car, and 1 for downstairs. They quit working 1 by 1. I never have had a mini USB cable go out on me yet, and i get them for 3-7 bucks at Frys. I like the logic of the lightning cable. Mainly, that there is no such thing as upside down. As far as quality goes though, I feel had. These things are terrible.

All 3 of my cables do that, I turn them over and they work just fine, I'm thinking the contacts we use everyday wear out.

Generally you'd want an OEM cable when it comes to your i-devices since they're guaranteed to be compatible and fully tested for the devices that they're made of. 3rd party companies, regardless of whether they've purchased the license/ability to produce for the device, generally will not have the same outcome as the original as they always have something "extra" they're trying to implement such as a 6-ft cable, or support for a larger power supply, or a dual-edged cable, etc, which can and probably will be detrimental for your device in more cases than not.

If your device is under a year old, then your accessories that come with the device or (if brought separately) will also follow the warranty. Meaning if your OEM cable that comes with the device is faulty, you can get it replaced for free at your local Apple Store (if they support accessory replacement), or you can mail it back to Cupertino and they'll send you a new cable. This, however, does not apply for 3rd party cables like Belkin and such, in which case you'll have to see whether the company covers for a parts/labor warranty depending on situation

I am still using the original cable that came with my phone, been using it constantly for almost a year now with no problems, the one i use in the car (which is an Apple cable) is also fine, I only use genuine cables for all my Apple devices.

I can only speak to my own experience.. All 3 of my cables were oem identical cables.. I think i will try visiting the apple store to see if i can get a replacement..

I haven't had a problem with the lightning cable for my iPhone 5….. but I've completely destroyed several of the 30 pin cables, though in fairness, I am pretty rough on them and the one was almost 3 years old, before it gave up the ghost and the other almost 2 years old.

This is what happened with my first cable. The green wire got disconnected.

Attachments

• $image-4112399066.jpg
    $image-4112399066.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,478
After seeing the photo above i cant help wondering if some members are pulling out the cables by yanking on the cable, this will eventually cause this kind of problem, i always take mine out by grasping the adaptor part.

This scared me when I held it on the casing part of the lightning cable, not the cord. The casing was pulled away from the circuit board. The cover part should've been glued to the PCB or in any other way that wouldn't make it separate. This happened also to a friend.

This scared me when I held it on the casing part of the lightning cable, not the cord. The casing was pulled away from the circuit board. The cover part should've been glued to the PCB or in any other way that wouldn't make it separate. This happened also to a friend.
is this a genuine Apple cable Quake?

Status
Not open for further replies.