What's new

Lets see who can answer this question

nick24780

Reaction score
Here goes,

I have lost sound to the ear piece when receiving or making calls, I tried a couple of things to solve the problem to no avail, even replacing parts.

after lack of help from apple, I decided to look deeper into the fault, ie on the logic board. really no idea where to start. I purchased a microscope and stripped down the phone,

Well after about 10 minutes I found what i believe to be the issue with the sound problem, Now im not sure what to call this so i will go with a capacitor for now.

A capacitor looked to be missing from the board, I manage to pull a pdf schematics from the internet and looked at it good

The capacitor missing according to the schematic is listed as a FL1105 70-OHM-25%-0.28A from the 01005 package, very tiny component to say the least

My question is if anyone is able to answer, Does anybody know where i could located a replacement?, what is it, is it a Capacitor, Resistor, Inductor or a something else, i have tried places like Digikey and Mouser both they cant find anything listed under the part numbers.

If anyone can shine a light of this i would be very greatful

Regards

I don't believe that there's any source for individual logic board components. You're likely looking at a complete logic board replacement here.
The missing part could very well be a custom part made just for this logic board.

The supplier who manufactures these logic boards for Apple uses robotic assembly techniques due to the extremely small size of the individual components.

Nick, did your phone fail out of the box? If it was working and has now stopped why do you think there is a missing component on the board?

Schematics show 4 of the same capacitors on the board, 3 i have located attached and the other is not there, I think the missing capacitor was knocked out when the previous owner had the screen changed, its highly likely has the capacitor was knocked off when removing the screen as its located under the shield plates that hold the connectors to the lcd in place.

I don't believe that there's any source for individual logic board components. You're likely looking at a complete logic board replacement here.
The missing part could very well be a custom part made just for this logic board.

The supplier who manufactures these logic boards for Apple uses robotic assembly techniques due to the extremely small size of the individual components.

Im very much aware that these devices are not manufactured by the human hand, however repairing the odd one or two here or there is possible, I can do it myself under a microscope and using the right tool, just need to get the right part

You might want to check with an independent repair shop to ask it they can repair the logic board. If they say they can't, it means that they aren't able to get the individual component needed. This will tell you if it's worth trying to find the component you need. Being able to do the repair yourself won't help if you can't get the part you need.

Ohms are a measure of resistance, not capacitance. This is a 70 ohm resistor with a 25% tolerance (70 ohms plus or minus 17.5 ohms) and it's rated at 0.28 amps. Having said that, it's not unusual for a manufacturer to have parts in the original schematic that engineering ends up eliminating in final manufacturing. So it can appear that a part is missing because the board was originally intended to have it but someone changed their mind about needing/wanting it. How do you know for sure that the schematic you're looking at is the final release-to-manufacturing version?

And I'm very skeptical that this is really the problem. You say that you "...have lost sound to the ear piece." Does this mean that you had sound at one time? Has it ever worked for you? If so, this is not the problem. And why did Apple refuse to help you? There seem to be a lot of questions here.

Maybe Apple's lack of help is related to the fact that the iPhone had already been self-repaired by the original owner. Apple will not repair an iPhone that has been opened by the customer.

Maybe Apple's lack of help is related to the fact that the iPhone had already been self-repaired by the original owner. Apple will not repair an iPhone that has been opened by the customer.
Yes, I see that it does read that way. Apparently the contact with Apple came after parts had been replaced.

Ohms are a measure of resistance, not capacitance. This is a 70 ohm resistor with a 25% tolerance (70 ohms plus or minus 17.5 ohms) and it's rated at 0.28 amps. Having said that, it's not unusual for a manufacturer to have parts in the original schematic that engineering ends up eliminating in final manufacturing. So it can appear that a part is missing because the board was originally intended to have it but someone changed their mind about needing/wanting it. How do you know for sure that the schematic you're looking at is the final release-to-manufacturing version?

And I'm very skeptical that this is really the problem. You say that you "...have lost sound to the ear piece." Does this mean that you had sound at one time? Has it ever worked for you? If so, this is not the problem. And why did Apple refuse to help you? There seem to be a lot of questions here.

Thanks for your reply, i have posted a few images from under the microscope, let me know your thoughts, At some point there was sound to listen to callers, however i think it was knocked of when the screen was changed by the previous owner, the position of the components is bottom left of the shield that protects the connectors for the LCD, Personally someone changing a screen without knowledge could have easily knocked it off when lifting the connector. Apple will not help has the unit as been touched before and the unit as no warranty.

Iphone 6.jpg
Iphone 6-1.jpg
iphone 6-2.jpg

So basically it has never worked for you.

What relevance does it have whether or not it worked for me, fact is it does not work now and i would like to diagnose its fault, missing component looks like the main suspect considering its an audio component and the fault is an audio issue, So far i have a few responses to my question, just one of those responses had any bearing on what i wanted to know

Ok, so i thought i should update on the progress of the repair i have been doing on this handset, I was correct, the unit was missing a chip and the FL1151 was the cause to the loss of sound from the ear piece, I had the chip replaced from a doner board by a Apple Technician earlier today while I waited and it worked a treat

My advice having experienced this issue to anyone who loses sound to the earpiece, is to have the 4 components highlighted in the above images checked then the Ribbon cable and Earpiece and if that doesn't solve it, then consider having the U1601 speaker amp changed.......

An Apple Technician was able and willing to do repairs on an iPhone not in warranty that had been previously worked on by non-Apple repair hands? That is surprising but good to hear.

An Apple Technician was able and willing to do repairs on an iPhone not in warranty that had been previously worked on by non-Apple repair hands? That is surprising but good to hear.

Yes indeed, i was lucky to find him and was more than willing to help, i'll be more than happy to use him again in the future for board level repairs