What's new

Let me ask a "first day" buyer

xRITE AIDEx

Reaction score
So thinking for awhile about the big phone coming in feburary and verizons new NE2 to 20 months. In which I personally will be using my brothers upgrade to get the Iphone4 in which we know that a new phone will come out in June in which holding off for it makes sense.

My point is upgrading in feb. will cause your next upgrade to be in oct. or nov. 2012 and by that time I personally believe a new Iphone will be out and 4g will be the big thing for the iphone.
For me I have no 4g coverage and I probably won't for awhile which is just one of the reasons I am turned off from the 4g droids(the looks of them just don't seem great to me) in which sure an Iphone5 may have 4g this june but it may not come to verizon like some are thinking.

I really want an iphone4 and it not having 4g is not a big deal to me(even not knowing pricing either which I think it'll be more than 30 for unlimited, if its even offered)

Keep in mind, you don't know that Verizon will get the new phone in June. The may not until next year at the same time as now. Nothing confirms the June release for Verizon yet. Beyond that, it's looking like almost a definite that the next iPhone (June) won't be LTE, but the model after that. That's why I'm not losing a lot of sleep over getting this version.

So... what are you asking...? I don't see a question, lol ;)

Am I making the right decision, with what I said, with the information given is it worth getting the Iphone4.

Sorry bud and jkhonea wheres that info on this june iphone? Cause your thinking the exact thing I am. I think Apple and ATT still has a contract and next year is their last Iphone together(which will be 4g I think)

Am I making the right decision, with what I said, with the information given is it worth getting the Iphone4.

Sorry bud

I'd say so, as long as you don't mind the upgrade date change on yours and your brother's lines.

Like you said, 4G doesn't matter yet because it's not available everywhere. By 2012, it will certainly be much more widespread.

Also keep in mind that the iPhone has a very high resale value (look on eBay). So if you buy one now at contract price, then a newer one comes out later this year and you decide you have to have it... just sell your current one. You will definitely sell it for more than what you paid (probably at least $500 or so). Then you just use that money to buy the new one, and you really don't lose much at all, if any.

I still have six months left on my droid erris contract before I can get an updated phone but will most likely buy the iphone and swallow my loss to have a phone I like.

Sorry bud and jkhonea wheres that info on this june iphone? Cause your thinking the exact thing I am. I think Apple and ATT still has a contract and next year is their last Iphone together(which will be 4g I think)

Eh, no solid info on my end, mainly just going on knowledge of technical trends with different carriers and manufacturer's and making an educated guess. Will the iPhone 5 be different? Sure, but I doubt it will be drastically different. Plus, if there is an OS change, they will bring that back down to the iPhone 4. I think this one will be safe for the two year, well, twenty month lock in.

I have thought long and hard about whether to get the iphone now or wait until the iphone 5 launches. I have even had conversations with my local verizon store manager who used to work for me. According to what he told me the LTE rollout is going to happen quickly, but it will still be 3-5 years before the coverage is complete. Also from what he has heard (nothing confirmed yet) Verizon is going to follow Sprint's model and charge a $10-$20 per month premium for the 4g service.

I am going to go ahead and get the verizon iphone on the first day. As a current verizon customer I can pre-order the phone on 2/3 and I intend to do so.

Also as was previously mentioned if the new phone comes out and is a must have you can sell you iphone on ebay or even keep it to use as an ipod touch. I currently use my 3g iphone from at&t that could not get service at my house as an ipod touch.

I was on the fence about getting the Verizon Iphone aswell. Thinking if I waited till june to see the Iphone 5. But, in my case it's a fairly nice upgrade. I have the Motorola Droid 1. I don't jump to buy a new phone unless the one I have breaks or I'm due for an upgrade. I think that's why a few members here encouraged me that the Iphone 4 will be a nice upgrade for me. As long as Verizon doesn't raise the price on the data plan and I can get my 1500 text messages I'm going to get one. :)

Keep in mind, you don't know that Verizon will get the new phone in June. The may not until next year at the same time as now. Nothing confirms the June release for Verizon yet. Beyond that, it's looking like almost a definite that the next iPhone (June) won't be LTE, but the model after that. That's why I'm not losing a lot of sleep over getting this version.

I was thinking the same thing, Verizon has always been the last ones to get the new models of phones that come out, I'm not really sure why but it seems that they like to make sure all the bugs are worked out, so another iPhone in June doesnt seem realistic. Case in point, if Verizon had released the iPhone when AT&T did, they would have the same antenna issues. Their 4G network seems to be coming together pretty fast and with all the 4G Android devices coming out, it would make sense for the next gen iPhone on Verizon to be 4G, but only time will tell.

As for that new upgrade policy, I'll be signing one year contracts from now on.