What's new

Just want my iphone back....

TheGoodSon

Reaction score
This post isn't intended to bash or bad mouth any jail breakers or their supporters. This is just my experience that i wanted to share to anyone on the fence about doing this mod. I jail broke my device via redsnow on 5.0.1 firmware pointed to 5.0 successfully and liked it very much at first for a couple weeks and then i realized i just wanted my regular device restored back to original apple software. Why? you might ask... because after the jail break i wasn't pleased with the way it slowed my device down (not a whole lot just enough to make me not like it lol) i am a fan of speed when it comes to launching my apps and lock screen notifications and so on. It also would sometimes crash depending on what i was installing or doing. not a real big deal but again just enough to upset me. So with that said i thought to my self yea this stuff is cool and fun to tinker with when I'm bored but now I'm over it and want my ROCK SOLID Apple device back that "Just Works" (quote from Steve) all the time flawlessly and with speed. So that's what i did.. i restored it to factory settings and got my wonderful clean looking solid acting device back and now have a new found respect for the simple clean looking wonderful operating iPhone and Apple software. i will hang on to my jailbreak files just incase i get bored again tho ;)

This post isn't intended to bash or bad mouth any jail breakers or their supporters. This is just my experience that i wanted to share to anyone on the fence about doing this mod. I jail broke my device via redsnow on 5.0.1 firmware pointed to 5.0 successfully and liked it very much at first for a couple weeks and then i realized i just wanted my regular device restored back to original apple software. Why? you might ask... because after the jail break i wasn't pleased with the way it slowed my device down (not a whole lot just enough to make me not like it lol) i am a fan of speed when it comes to launching my apps and lock screen notifications and so on. It also would sometimes crash depending on what i was installing or doing. not a real big deal but again just enough to upset me. So with that said i thought to my self yea this stuff is cool and fun to tinker with when I'm bored but now I'm over it and want my ROCK SOLID Apple device back that "Just Works" (quote from Steve) all the time flawlessly and with speed. So that's what i did.. i restored it to factory settings and got my wonderful clean looking solid acting device back and now have a new found respect for the simple clean looking wonderful operating iPhone and Apple software. i will hang on to my jailbreak files just incase i get bored again tho ;)

I'm with you on this.

iHolophyte

i completely agree... i had a great time exploring the jailbreak and all the fun things that come along with it, even a couple expensive tweaks to the UI and others. i will do the mod again someday, just not until some Developers have a chance to catch up with Apple's latest and greatest update. i think if your somewhat savoy enough to do this then you should definitely go for it and make up your own mind based upon your experience but for now i am very pleased with the reliability, consistency, rock solid iPhone as is

I do miss my themes & SBSettings & a few other things now that I'm not jailbroken, but I do like that my phone doesn't crash now that i'm not jailbroken. But, I know once an untethered jailbreak becomes available I'll jailbreak again. I just can't help myself. I love to tinker!!

I really wish we can theme this phone without jailbreaking it. Some widgets would be nice. But, i agree, it just works! Well at that!.

The update to the notification drop-down window looks very nice(And soon to getting updated heavily). I think soon enough, the SBSettings will be in there. Integrated.

Anyone wonder how ICS 4.0 would run on the iPhone?

sorry if im posting in the wrong section, but ive been looking/searching for awhile and couldnt find anything

i feel the exact same way, ive messed around with the jailbreak but just want my old iphone back,

i have a 3gs, jailbroken and running 4.3.3, just wondering if someone could point me to a guide on how to reset to factory default.

thanks so much

sorry if im posting in the wrong section, but ive been looking/searching for awhile and couldnt find anything

i feel the exact same way, ive messed around with the jailbreak but just want my old iphone back,

i have a 3gs, jailbroken and running 4.3.3, just wondering if someone could point me to a guide on how to reset to factory default.

thanks so much

Real easy! Hook it up to itunes and hit RESTORE under the INFO tab. It'll update you to iOS5.0.1 and not back to 4 - but there are plenty of good things about iOS5 you'll enjoy!

Real easy! Hook it up to itunes and hit RESTORE under the INFO tab. It'll update you to iOS5.0.1 and not back to 4 - but there are plenty of good things about iOS5 you'll enjoy!

Also FYI, not sure if it is a home computer thing or not, but to restore my defective iPhone 4 to factory settings and update my new iPhone4 to 5.0.1 took almost 3hrs... again, it might be the home computer. My computer is almost 9yrs old..

i was pretty sure if i restore from itunes it bricks my phone, did that before and was a pain to fix, isnt there something else i have to do it?

thanks for you quick reply tester

I agree with the OP, and others: jail-breaking is risky, and depending on the user, it can be fatal to the device, or really neat. Me, I'd rather stay safe and stable with an original iOS.

A jail broken iPhone versus not is the jail broken one is more buggy like android because apple does verify apps are running correctly and the OS is working the way it should.

i was pretty sure if i restore from itunes it bricks my phone, did that before and was a pain to fix, isnt there something else i have to do it?

thanks for you quick reply tester
Correct me if I'm wrong but the term "bricking" is usually reserved for meaning the loss of 'unlock' status. "Jailbreaking" and "unlocking" an iPhone are two entirely different things and processes. You didn't mention your phone was 'unlocked' too (meaning it can run on carriers other than Sprint, AT&T and Verizon). If your phone is unlocked then upgrading it to a new iOS does run the risk of 'bricking' it (meaning losing your unlock status). But if you're on a normal iPhone US carrier like AT&T, Sprint or Verizon then restoring your phone from jailbreak to a newer iOS version WILL allow you to 're-jailbreak' one day again - when a new jailbreak becomes available. Currently there is no jailbreak for the iPhone4S or iPad2. The blogs say sometimes 'this week' Jan 9-15, 2012. Here's to hoping!!

Hope that clarifies your concern. If you're not UNLOCKED - there's no chance of 'bricking' your phone. Someone others please correct me if I'm misstating here. But that's how I've learned term 'bricking'.

im pretty sure my phone is unlocked, im with telus but the guy i bought my phone off of (bought it 2nd hand) told me it was unlocked, and the first time i tried to reset my phone via itunes it "bricked" my phone (to me, "bricked" means the phone only shows the connect to itunes icon (plug pointing to itunes symbol) and you cant do anything from there (untill you un-brick it)...

sorry for any confusion, and thanks for the responses, i will continue to search for a way to restore it.

also, appologies for hijacking the thread!