What's new

Just got my iPhone 4S 16GB...LOVE IT....EXCEPT for...

cajungirl79

Reaction score
A couple of issues. One, the battery life thing....but I may have figured out what the problem was with that...I went through the routine, did the upgrade, hard reboot, reset all settings, a second hard reboot, made sure all notifications were OFF, made sure my "Setting Time Zone" was OFF, all the normal battery savers. Well, after the upgrade, I'm not sure if my battery drained the same, or FASTER...but I just figured out something that may have been my problem. I had no idea that every time you open an app, it stays running in the background, and when you double tap the home button, it has the opened apps there. Hold down one of the icons until it wiggles, and tap the minus sign, and THEN the app is not running. I must've had 10 apps running, without my knowledge. So after closing every app, and closing them every time I text, email, facebook, or whatever, it seems that my battery is not draining QUITE as fast. I can still watch the percentage drop every few minutes without doing anything (just hitting the home button to view the percentage) but I'm going to do another hard reboot and charge completely and see what happens.

The second issue, which I have not found anyone else to have...when I point my camera at a light colored background, I see a dark spot on the screen. Yes, the spot shows up on the picture also. The spot seems to move...sometimes it is in the upper right hand corner, sometimes the lower right hand corner. Today, it was more left center. I don't understand and I feel like I will have to go to an Apple store (ugh - nearest one is 2 hours away) and have this device replaced. Anybody experience this? I didn't notice until I pointed to a blank white or light colored background, but this drives me crazy now and is noticeable, like on pictures of people, it sometimes shows up on their FACE. It's not on the camera screen when I use the front camera, only the back camera. This is very annoying, and it must be a piece of trash or something on the actual lens, behind the glass. Do you recommend taking it to the Apple store? Thanks for your help in advance!

CajunGirl79

hello and welcome to the forum! some people claim to have had battery issues but for those that do 5.0.1 is supposed to fix that, and yes when you open apps they stay open on in the background so you double tap the home button and then hold them in with your finger like you would delete an app normallyor move around files to make a folder.. also try turning features such as bluetooth off and also I found the biggest battery killer is having the screen very bright and yes turning off apps but that really wont make that much of a difference having the apps open..

How much do you use the device? and what kind of things do you do? just to get an idea of why it drains so fast for you..

with the camera maybe try turning off the flash or a place with less light maybe

I can't help you with the battery issues but may be able to with the camera issue.

Do you have any pictures you can share with this shadow moving around?

From what you described, it sounds like something in or on the lens. If it's on the lens, wiping it with a soft microfiber cloth will fix it. If it's in the lens, that's a manufacturer defect.

$withflash (800x600).jpg$withoutflash (800x600).jpg

ok...bear with me. I'm new to forums and I'm not sure how to post pictures. I took two pics, one without flash and one with flash. You can clearly see the spot in the left lower corner of each picture. Like I said, sometimes the spot is in the upper right corner (and I made sure I'm holding the camera the same way, with the volume buttons UP) and sometimes it's in the lower right hand corner. This is so frustrating because I am an amateur photographer and was so looking forward to the camera on the 4S. I'm almost sure there's some lint or trash inside the lens, and I guess I will end up taking this device back. I'm so upset, and haven't heard of anybody else with this issue! =(

p.s. it wants to focus on the spot, I think...and my subjects are blurry sometimes even after I tap on the subject to focus

Last edited:
Oh, and also...I do have bluetooth turned off. I have my screen on Auto, and it's adjusted to about the middle, which isn't bright enough for me, but I do it to save battery...I only use the phone for texting, occasional phone calls, facebook (sometimes 5-10 minutes at a time) and emails, which I check quickly. I may occasionally view a video on youtube (maybe two a day) but I don't use it for gaming. I also take some pictures and occasionally google a phone number or something. My battery, even after the update, drains ridiculously fast for the few little things I use the phone for, but I have noticed a slight increase in battery life since I started turning all the apps off, especially the email or safari apps.

Thanks for your input!!!

Looks like there is a piece of debris of some kind under the lens covering. Dust perhaps?

Looks like there is a piece of debris of some kind under the lens covering. Dust perhaps?
This would be my first guess. The back cover on the 4 & 4S is really easy to remove. Just need the correct Pentalobe driver. Check it out over at ifixit.com

thanks! I'm terrified to take the cover off - but do you think I could bring it to a place that fixes iPhones? Maybe they could take it off and clean it....or should I just take it back to the Apple store and ask them to clean it? I don't want to void the warranty or anything....

I'm not going to lie to you and say there's not a possibility of goofing something up. If you're leary of doing it yourself then definitely take it to an Apple store. Just please don't let mom & pop down in the shop on the street corner take apart your phone. LOL!!!

Yes, definitely just take it into the Apple Store. No mom & pop stores or "iPhone expert" Craigslist postings.

Thank you SO much for all your help, guys! You are AWESOME! Does anybody know if there is a time limit, like the 4 week limit or 30 days AT&T has for most phones? I mean, I've had the phone for a little over two weeks, and I won't be able to get to an Apple store until week 4 at the earliest. (I work 12 hour nights 7 on/7 off, and it's a 2 hour drive one way to the nearest Apple store in Little Rock.)

ok, so I'm an idiot, and I just got on the apple.com website and put in my serial number and it says I am still covered, so I'm going to talk to an Apple advisor. Thank you all so much for your help!!! I love this forum!!!!!

You're welcome. Sorry to hear that the nearest Apple Store is 2 hours away. I am lucky to have one literally across the street, as well as another about 10 minutes down the road. I would gladly send one of them to your town if I could!