What's new

jailbreak, unlock, ios,bb?

yenracer

Reaction score
hello applers,

1. i'm a newbie and been reading alittle about the iphone 4 ( att ios 4.2.1 and fw 03.10.01) and i just recently purchased this. This is my first apple product. I guess i'm jumping on the bandwagon with this phone and want to know if jailbreaking is pretty easy? Can someone link me to a newbie tutorial?

2. I contacted att 2x phone and chatting and gave them my IMEI number but they said no to unlock but did not disclose why. I bought the phone through craigslist (i think it was stolen and sold to me). If att won't unlock, can i trust some people on CL to do it for 40 bucks? I don't see the logic of how their doing it? Wouldn't my IMEI number be block on their (att) database to not unlock it? I see all these people posting they can unlock it but was hesitate to do it so i bought the gevey ultra from the trusthworthy applenberry. Anyone know how their doing this unlock even though their not ATT employees?

3. With my specs above, i think gevey sim unlock is less costly. If i update to ios 5.1.1 will it automatically update the baseband? I don't want apple to automatically update to 04.12.01 baseband thus not being able to unlock my phone? What is the best approach to preserve i guess my stock bb 03.10.01. and have the latest ios?

Sorry for strings of questions but i'm still learning about all the inns and outs of this awesome phone. Thank you so much for everyone's input, i really appreciate it. :)

A quick answer... Jailbreak using redsnOw. Create a custom 5.1.1 firmware w/ redsnOw w/ the Baseband preservation option. Restore ,via Shift-Restore on iTunes, to that custom firmware. Them use the Gevey Ultra for unlocking.

Thank you Thomas for the quick help. It sounds straight forward. Anything i should watch for (bricking?) or is it safe to do the above steps for newbies like me? Also, the cfw 5.1.1 will beinstalled but will it update to baseband 04.10.01 or do i have to do that manual? I want to utilize IOS 5.1.1 but with my stock bb 03.10.01 it can only use IOS 4.3.3.

maybe i'm thinking too hard but better be safe than sorry :)

Thanks again, and i notice you live in missouri, i use to live in kc stateline rd so i live in both kansas and missouri for 10 years. i miss it :(