What's new

Jailbreak and Unlock iphone 3GS for dummies

DJthePilot

Reaction score
So in advance let me apologize if these questions has been asked and answered many times before.

I have an iPhone 3GS 32 gig that I would like to unlock. My ultimate goal is to give this phone to my daughter, let her use it as a regular phone (no data usage or paying for a data plan) Is this possible?

Here are the specifics.

Model MB717LL
Version 5.0.1 (9A405)
Carrier AT&T
Modem Firmware 05.16.05
Serial Number QR1390C (first 7 digits)

If this is possible, once jailbroken and unlocked, how do I make sure the data portion of the phone is turned off so as not to be charged for a data plan by AT&T?

Please answer as if you are talking to a second grader. Although I am fairly computer literate iphones baffle the crap out of me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Before getting into Jailbreaking & Unlocking... unfortunately, you cannot use an iPhone on AT&T w/o a data plan. If you do... you'll receive notification from them that they know you're using a "smartphone" that requires a data plan. There isn't a workaround for that either. Let us know what you think an we'll get you directed.

Unlocking, allows you to use the iPhone on a wireless carrier other than its locked to. If you're still going to be using the 3GS on AT&T, unlocking it is unnecessary.