What's new

jailbreak and unlock 3gs 05.13.04

s0mer4ndom1diot

Reaction score
hi guys, just registered. i have been able to figure out how to jailbreak and unlock by myself since i got my iphone. and there are a few reasons id like to upgrade to at least ios 5.0. so i can update and use my ebay app, xbox smarthglass, new youtube app.. and i cant for the life of my find any guides on how to jailbreak and unlock to at least 5.0. 5.0, 5.1.1, 6.0 would all work. anyone know how to or know of any guides i can follow? much appreciated and thanks in advance :)

yes. currently on 4.3.3, firmware 05.13.04, jailbroken and unlocked.

The suggested updates would be iOS 5.0.1 and 5.1.1, mainly leaning on 5.1.1 because it has less bugs, but either is fine since both have untethered jailbreaks. You can use RedSn0w to upgrade to them. Just make sure that you download the IPSW that reflects the iOS that you're trying to upgrade to (suggested 5.0.1 or 5.1.1), then open up RedSn0w with your iPhone connected. Go to Extras > Even More > Restore. Select IPSW and point it to the iOS that you want to upgrade to, then click "Remote" for the next part that asks about blobs. RedSnow will retrieve them for you from Cydia's servers and will proceed to upgrading your iPhone. Follow the on-screen instructions or prompts when it asks you to put your iPhone into DFU mode if applicable.

ok. ive got 5.1.1 ipsw downloaded and the latest version of redsn0w. but before i do that, just making sure about the unlock. will ultrasn0w 1.2.7 unlock me for 5.1.1 05.13.04?

edit: ok.. also creating the customized ipsw to preserve baseband. opened redsn0w, clicked extras, custom ispw, the 4th and 5th digit of my serial number is 25, so i clicked no saying i didnt have a newer (fixed) version of the iphone3gs. it built it. so it that all i needed to do? the process was different for me the last few times, so im just making sure i dont brick my phone somehow. thanks again for all the help so far, all of you.

Last edited:
On the 3GS I believe so. I don't remember the exacts but you can unlock it on several 05.13 and a 05.16.05. If it turns out that your baseband is not unlockable, you can flash the iPad baseband and downgrade again. But I believe that baseband is unlockable

5.13.04 is unlockable directly w/ ultrasn0w. The last BB on the 3GS that can be used w/ ultrasn0w.... I believe.

edit: never mind. was successfully able to go 5.1.1. but now i need to ask my friend tomorrow to use her sim card to activate my phone. then i can jailbreak and unlock. so far, so good.

i guess the first time what screwed it up was a corrupt download.. cause i redownloaded firmware and it worked. the thing that took me the longest was to get out of the recovery mode loop. hard resetting or clicking exit recovery with tinyumbrella didnt work. so i googled the problem and eventually found this.
http://www.jbfaq.com/article.asp?id=60
which got me back into dfu mode so i could retry to update

Last edited:
You don't have to. Open up RedSn0w again, put your iPhone into DFU mode, select Jailbreak again, this time, at the list of items with checkboxes, tick "Deactivate" and untick "Install Cydia". Let it do its thing and after that's finished and rebooted, you'll have direct access to your phone without the need of a SIM.

Isn't your iPhone jailbroken already? By going through the process of RedSn0w and selecting "Install Cydia", you've jailbroken your device. And if you reinstall Cydia, you can either brick your device, or you can cause a wipe of everything on your device. If it isn't jailbroken already, tick BOTH "Install Cydia" and "Deactivate". Make sure you select the IPSW in Extras > Select IPSW before clicking the jailbreak button for a flawless jailbreak

well i just did a restore to get to 5.1.1, which wipes it, right? so, are you saying i can click the jailbreak button and jailbreak it without activating?