What's new

Jail Breaking procedure and reverting procedures - Getting it all straight.

Sagi

Reaction score
OK, so I just want you to correct me if I'm wrong here...

(I'm kinda new to the whole iPhone scene, I just got my iPhone 4 last friday)

It's like this:
  • I'm runing the 4.3 (8F190) firmware - stock (non-jailbroken)
    (I don't know the baseband version - how can I check it on a non-jailbroken iphone?)
  • My iPhone is factory unlocked. (Does it matter at any time what baseband do I have!?)
  • I have in my possession 4.3 and 4.3.2 firmwares.
  • I have in my possession 4.3 and 4.3.2 SHSH files.
  • And I also have redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc14.

And I just want to get this stright....

1) Now, currently, from my 4.3 stock version I can either...
  1. Update (trough regular iTunes) to a newer version (4.3.2)
  2. OR Jailbreak it making it "4.3 JailBroken".
  3. (Now correct me if I'm wrong) I cannot jailbreak it to stright to 4.3.2.

2) Next, suppose I JailBroken it to make it "4.3 JailBroken", my next options are:
  1. Restore (from iTunes) to the stock 4.3 non-jailbroken version.
  2. I assume I can NOT update straight to 4.3.2 non-jailbroken.
  3. I could update straight to 4.3.2 JB version.

3) Next, suppose I updated it stright to 4.3.2 JB version, my next options would be:
  1. "Restore" to 4.3.2 non-jailbroken.
  2. Restore to 4.3 non-jailbroken.
  3. But can NOT restore directly to 4.3 JB.

Am I missing something or did I get this right?
('cause it's a little confusing trying to take it all in - in just 5 days... also a bit hard without experimenting, I still haven't done anything to the system of the phone. Well, except saving my SHSH files - tough I don't believe that changes anything in the phone's system.)

I was waiting all this time so I could learn more about JB just before I actually do it.
Oh, I would also like to know how to BRICK the iPhone 4!?
If anyone knows please provide me with the information, thanks.

Basically it gets down to...
4) Can you go straight/directly from any version (JB or non-JB) to any other version... (Be it JB or non-JB, as long as you have the correct SHSH files and the actual firmware you want to move to)?

Last edited:
I read all of that above... it's really easy for you at this point.

Best thing to do is update to 4.3.2, and then Jailbreak.

So of course backup your iPhone in iTunes so that all of your apps are in the iTunes Library. Then update to 4.3.2.

Once complete, use the latest redsn0w JB to jailbreak it which is redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc14 at the moment. I did this today and it works no problems at all.

Please note the SHSH files that you said you have for 4.3.2, they can't be from your phone if you haven't upgraded to 4.3.2 before. SHSH files are device unique, so if you downloaded them or got them elsewhere, they are no good for you.

Also, you can find out your baseband but going into Settings -> General -> About -> Modem Firmware

Any questions let us know, and good luck!!! :)

I'll answer this as well....

Oh, I would also like to know how to BRICK the iPhone 4!?
If anyone knows please provide me with the information, thanks.

You can't really 'brick' the iPhone. The Jailbreak is software based. You can revert back to non JB at any time by easily going into iTunes and clicking "Restore". Apple won't know that it has ever been JB'd unless you tell them.

4) Can you go straight/directly from any version (JB or non-JB) to any other version... (Be it JB or non-JB, as long as you have the correct SHSH files and the actual firmware you want to move to)?

If I understand what you are saying correctly here, you can't go directly from one JB to another. For example, this morning I was 4.3.1 JB'd, now I am 4.3.2 JB'd. To get there I had to upgrade to 4.3.2 non JB, then JB'd it.

One last thing about SHSH files. You only need these if you ever decide to DOWNGRADE to an earlier version of iOS. You may never need these, but it is great practice to get them each time you upgrade. Make sure they are off YOUR phone and not from the internet or a friend.

You can easily get the SHSH blobs off your phone with a Lin/Win/Mac app called TinyUmbrella. Or a Cydia app once you JB called iSHSHit. I personally use iSHSHit and like it as it takes your SHSH blobs and emails them to you to keep in case you ever need them.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Although I already know the things you've said/wrote, you helped me put everything in order in my head, so thanks.

Any more comments are appreciated.

P.S.
I just upgraded to 4.3.2 and going to use redsn0w to JB it now.
Altough the update was available since I first got my iPhone (16/4/11) and though the untethered JB for 4.3.2 was available since the 18/4/11.

Last edited:
Thats good. You will be fine. Yeah 4.3.2 is pretty new, and the JB is only a day or so old.

i got the exact same thing as Sagi, was just wondering if there is risk for the phone to not wwork properly after jailbreak, and what about the baseband? is it iportant to know it?

thks :)

oh and i only need the 4.3.2 on file and point redsnow to it right?

No not really. Worst case scenario if something was to go wrong you can just restore again. There is no risk. Of course as with everything, back up in itunes before you do anything.

All you need is the 4.3.2 ipsw file and point redsnow to it :)

cool thks , after il need a good list of repos and what is the best apps to install at first :)

oh and i have itunes 10.1.0.56 is that ok?

the backup is just a sync in itunes i would assume?

Last edited:
ok all done, went well

in cydia i have a msg at top saying this device is in the pending TSS queue, this normal?

ok anyways all is good got my SHSH and access to apptrackr, so its all good, tthks guys :)

Last edited: