What's new

Itunes Re-opens itself

RandyM

Reaction score
Upgraded to the newest itunes version (10.5.3 I think) and now whenever I close itunes it restarts by itself. I tried the fix apple support recommended (Uninstalling everything) and it still does it. I even made up a new user account and tried running Itunes in it and it still does it. I dont have any widgets running and nothing attached (ipods, iphone, ipad) The only way i can get it to stop it to reboot my PC.
Anyone have this issue and or know of a fix???

RandyM

Hope it helps you.

Last edited by a moderator:

What he's doing there is showing the OP how to disable the start up of iTunes by using msconfig on a windows pc. It's a good idea and should solve the opening of iTunes every time he boots up if that is the problem.

iHolophyte

No no no, read the op post again. The iTunes booting stop only by restarting the computer, once the op Open iTunes and close it, iTunes auto re-open again and again until the op reboot the computer. msconfig will not help to solve that kinda issue at all. msconfig could help if the op said that iTunes auto start when computer boot up.

No no no, read the op post again. The iTunes booting stop only by restarting the computer, once the op Open iTunes and close it, iTunes auto re-open again and again until the op reboot the computer. msconfig will not help to solve that kinda issue at all. msconfig could help if the op said that iTunes auto start when computer boot up.

I was more pointing out the "what" to his reply. He's tried helping and he gets a "what" for his reply. It's a forum and he probably thought he was helping! I was just reiterating exactly what msconfig is for.

iHolophyte

I was more pointing out the "what" to his reply. He's tried helping and he gets a "what" for his reply. It's a forum and he probably thought he was helping! I was just reiterating exactly what msconfig is for.

iHolophyte
:) ok ok no worries.

I did uncheck Itunes in the startup and there is no difference. As long as I don't open itunes it stays off. Once I open itunes, to sync and backup my older non ios5 devices, itunes re opens itself right after I close it. I will contact apple for support on this issue. Thanks to everyone for helping me

RandyM

I did uncheck Itunes in the startup and there is no difference. As long as I don't open itunes it stays off. Once I open itunes, to sync and backup my older non ios5 devices, itunes re opens itself right after I close it. I will contact apple for support on this issue. Thanks to everyone for helping me

RandyM

Apple would be your best port of call. Only apple really knows how iTunes works!

Let us know what they tell you.

iHolophyte

The easiest way I've found possible to stop iTunes from re-opening itself when closing, rather than rebooting the PC, is to end the iTunes.exe, and iPodServices.exe processes in the task manager (ctrl + alt + del). This will save you some time rather than having to reboot just to turn off a program. Although still tedious, this is the only "fix" I've found for shutting down iTunes.

*Edit* I did find this, and it fixed my problem right away. If you use a Logitech G15 keyboard, or something like it with a display window check out this link. Disabling the Media Display for said keyboard(s) stops iTunes from re-opening on it's own.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3808440?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited: