What's new

Itunes help

amyinnc

Reaction score
HOpe I can put this here. Wasn't sure where to

Anyway..four iTunes users in my home. W have one iTunes account as most of us like same music, etcetera and it's easier that way
But it's causing issues with iMessage.
Is there a way to have more than one email address for one account so we can sign in differently?
Or if I make a whole new account for my new phone, does that mean I can no longer access all the stuff I've bought before?
Help!

HOpe I can put this here. Wasn't sure where to

Anyway..four iTunes users in my home. W have one iTunes account as most of us like same music, etcetera and it's easier that way
But it's causing issues with iMessage.
Is there a way to have more than one email address for one account so we can sign in differently?
Or if I make a whole new account for my new phone, does that mean I can no longer access all the stuff I've bought before?
Help!

You should have the option to untick the AppleID in iMessages. For the non-main users of that Apple ID (the ones that do not want to receive iMessages from this specific AppleID), open up Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Then under "You can be reached by iMessage at", untick the email. So for example, we'll say [email protected] is my iMessage email (example, don't go messaging this email to all the readers). If we're sharing the same AppleID, we both get this email by default under iMessages.

Since you don't want to use this email, untick it, and then tap on "Add Another Email...", and enter your own AppleID email. My email will still be on the list, because it's linked with the AppleID that you have on your device because we're sharing apps, iTunes purchases, etc, but you will no longer receive the messages I get. Instead, since you've entered your own AppleID email, you'll get your own messages, and I won't get yours. Essentially you can create a completely new AppleID, and use that strictly for iMessages. You don't have to use it for the AppStore, iTunes, etc, you just need it for iMessages to differentiate the send/receiving on all devices

Ok so where do I go in iTunes to create another Apple ID for iMessages?

You'd have to log out then create a new one. Or, you can just go here, which is the direct webpage to create an AppleID.

So wait. If I create a new id and go into settings on my phone. Sign out of my old id, then into my new one?
What happens when I want to buy something on iTunes. I will have on use the old id won't i?

Ok so where do I go in iTunes to create another Apple ID for iMessages?
If you share an iTunes Apple ID, then as has been said, your iMessage, FaceTime and iCloud Apple ID have to be different from the other devices. What many don't realize, is if you sync to iTunes on a computer, the phone's name has to be different. They all can't have the name "iPhone". Make it "Sally's iPhone 5c" for example.

Our phones are all named different. My main thing is...I want go keep the same id for music, gams, etc sincere paid for so many. But want to be able to use iMessage too with a different email I guess? So confusing!?

So wait. If I create a new id and go into settings on my phone. Sign out of my old id, then into my new one?
What happens when I want to buy something on iTunes. I will have on use the old id won't i?

You don't have to sign out of your AppleID, rather you can't unless you want to log out of the new one, and log back into the old one for every purchase or update. As long as you untick that AppleID from iMessages, you'll stop receiving iMessages as described in the earlier post. The purpose of creating the new Apple ID is for iMessages, so that every other user that's not the main user can have their own unique contact address outside of their phone number if they want to use an email contact rather than a number contact. If the other users are fine with using their own individual phone numbers, then all they have to do is untick the email of the AppleID in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and you're done.

Can't you authorize itunes for more than one account? I thought that was allowed. In fact, you can authorize up to 5 devices per itunes account I believe. Then you each wouldl have a different apple id and I believe that might solve you imessage issue.

Can't you authorize itunes for more than one account? I thought that was allowed. In fact, you can authorize up to 5 devices per itunes account I believe. Then you each wouldl have a different apple id and I believe that might solve you imessage issue.
Each phone has to have the same iTunes Apple ID to share the same apps, music, movies, books and etc. Even paid apps can be shared without other phones paying for them again. But the iMessage, iCloud and FaceTime have to have a different Apple ID for each device.

My wife just got a new iPhone 5c. We share the same iTunes Apple ID. She downloaded a few Apple apps. iPhoto, Pages and etc. She got them free. Now they are on my purchased list in my 5. So I downloaded them for free as well, even though I purchased my phone before September 1st 2013.